Topic: how do you keep your install stable

After seeing this :

it has some good point but not all :slight_smile: Would myself never ignore a kernel. have always an lts in the side , also i dont use btfs but since i never backup i have mostly an usb in the back to fix it generally.

might using timeshift in the future for now , not now :slight_smile:

tellme your secret how to maintain your system :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually there is no established way, for me to keep it clean, up to date and as safe as possible.

4 Likes

This. All I do is keep up to date, clean out any crap I have around. So far I am on the same install since October 2017.

1 Like

Interesting video, and some good points. Making (or trying to make) sure everything works flawlessly one needs to be prepared and do stuff before the system breaks. Reliable backups are an important example.

One additional safeguard is to make a separate install EndeavourOS (or Arch) into a virtual machine, and use the testing repositories on it. Then you’ll see possible issues “ahead of time”, and can start looking at the EndeavourOS forum or Arch news page.

2 Likes

Yep that’s what I do. I know I shouldn’t argue with the Titus but, I’m of the mind smaller updates makes it easier knowing what broke something if it breaks. Lets go with the Titus update route…I see that I have five updates so I do as Titus suggest and wait a week or two, now I see there are 25-30 updates, well, maybe the added updates came the day I went to update after waiting weeks so wouldn’t they be the new updates Titus warns about waiting on ? I agree with his outdated AUR packages, using LTS if you can, Timeshift.

Been using Arch and Arch based distro’s 4 years and nothing broke my system where it needed reinstall or use backup.

1 Like

actually i tend to ,if i see systemd / linux (not grub because i use systemd-boot) QT5 / lxqt updates to wait 3 days longer. depend what breaks :slight_smile:

some friends of mine then to do update 2 times a week when they have more free time.

stil looking for a pacman script that can compare versions to track easier if its update in notifier… but some breakage myself cause sometimes by some stupid experiment :slight_smile:

I usually update as soon as I notice something new is available.
When it’s critical things such as systemd or plasma I will create a btrfs snapshot (< 1s) before hitting yay and will do the update itself from tty instead of the konsole.
Aside from that I keep a LTS kernel as a second option and run ~daily btrfs snapshots and backups via borg.

1 Like

Checking the forums/news before updating to check for issues and if anything needs manual intervention has been my #1 solution.

Installing updates via cli for any extra info it might spit out at you, and I have Downgrade installed to help in a pinch. Most issues are resolved in a later update in 3 days or less. I also like having a second kernel around as a failsafe.

I should look into Timeshift, but haven’t had the need so far.

Yeah that’s way too much work for me :smiley: I am running the Testing repos and have been for about six months with no issues. (touch wood).

2 Likes

Good for you! The glitches that are coming with testing are usually the same that ”normal” Arch is getting a bit later. But with the stable repos we have the solution already…

BTW i’m using testing repos on one non-production machine, and it is working astonishingly well. :slight_smile:

You are right about that though there aren’t that many in the first place :smiley:

1 Like

That is true. Arch is amazing!

Eh.
No big secret.

I run Timeshift, because why not. It does 3 daily, 3 boot and one weekly backup.
I also always check the Arch News before updating.

Arch is always stable. :laughing:

1 Like