Top 100 Popular AUR you did not know you needed

Which AUR helper you choose is wholly a personal preference. I would recommend yay or paru. They are pretty similiar and I don’t think it matters much which you choose.

That being said, there are other popular options as well. pikaur or trizen come to mind

I don’t think any of the helpers actually force you to reboot after an update. That being said, depending on which packages are updated, there are times when you should.

All the helpers that combine operations will prioritize repo packages over AUR packages. As far as choosing between different packages of the same software in AUR, I don’t think any do that because they have different package names. It would also be somewhat risky to automate that I think. You would have to depend on provides but you could get in some weird situations I think.

2 Likes

ok. incidentally paru is the number 1 in our list. in the link i posted above i think pacaur and pakku does the combination. of all the three what is your take.
also can i avoid reboot after update.

I like paru and yay as mentioned earlier. These are modern helpers which do pretty much everything.

I used pacaur for a long time but it is mostly dead at this point. It was dropped by the original author and picked up by someone else. It still works but hasn’t really seen any maintenance. If you want a pacaur style helper I think pikaur is a better choice.

I think pakku may be dead. It no longer builds without massaging and hasn’t seen a commit in over 2 years.

2 Likes

paru for general usage and yay if you want to do some advanced thing on the aur. is my understanding correct.
for a new comer like me, i guess then paru should be my single package manager for EOS. is that right.

No, paru is a rewrite of yay in a different programming language with slightly different features and options. You can use either. They are mostly the same.

2 Likes

The only one I really have from there is Timeshift, which is pretty handy for backups. Jellyfin is pretty good too but I use the docker.

Out of these on the list, I only use a few… librewolf-bin is one of them, and so is minecraft-launcher which I’ll have to replace with some 3rd party launcher soon, since it requires a Micro$oft account and I don’t want to have one :sweat_smile:

Timeshift should not be used for backups (you are warned against using it for backups in the documentation). It’s a system snapshot tool.

Yes. That’s what I meant. Poor choice of words on my part.

1 Like

how to load zen kernel for waydroid and if i loaded zen kernel will vbox work simultaneously.

how much USD equivalent crypto one can earn daily by sacrificing the privacy on brave browser. have you really encashed crypto for USD.

I don’t use that function ever. But it seems that the amount of BAT you can get is tied to your location. I heard of folks in NA making 20-30 BATs a month and I heard of ppl in Europe or Africa making just 1 BAT per month.
Currently 1 BAT ~ 1.1 US$

1 Like

seems a clear case of ethnic discrimination :grinning:

Yay and Spotify installed from the AUR. I do have VS Studio…sort of. It’s VS Code specific for FIRST Robotics and from that GIT. Have used Zoom recently, but as a web app. So, I guess only Spotify and yay from the AUR.

Not on that list though is Openrazer, Polychromatic, ProtonmailBridge.Google Earth Pro, and Alternatives.

2 Likes

Discovered yt-dlp-drop-in on that list, very useful indeed and allowed me to remove youtube-dl.

This is in the repo, so no longer valid for this list. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

enable concurrent downloads, so it downloads yt vids very fast.

yt-dlp --concurrent-fragments 5

where 5 is equal to the number of threads to be employed for this download

1 Like

hi @dalto
what are the difference between package, package-git and package-bin. though i understand that bin stands for binary and git stands for git repo, i can’t understand on what basis, you choose one over the other. for an ordinary user how to trust a package which we are installing.
secondly, how can one ensure that the update safely instead of accidentally overwriting with a package with bug (that breaks)

package - This is the standard version of the package. If the source code is available, it should be built on your machine based on released version of the product. If no source code is available, it should be a binary of the released version.

package-git - This is typically built off the latest source code in the source repo. It may have bugs. Depending on how the maintainer manages the package, you may need to pass a devel flag to your AUR helper to get proper updates.

package-bin - This means the package is downloading and installing a prebuilt binary.

Choosing between the various versions of an AUR package should only happen during install. When a package is updated, it should always be updating the one you installed since they have different package names.

3 Likes
curl -L https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/latest/download/yt-dlp -o ~/Downloads/yt-dlp
chmod a+rx ~/Downloads/yt-dlp

:laughing:

1 Like

thanks again @dalto for the detailed reply. another question is does AUR maintainers check that all the packages are without malicious code.
irrespective of that, how can we users ensure that none of the packages we install through yay does not container code of such intent.