Too many updates

@manuel

Please don’t change anything. EOS is near perfect. Specifically all the custom work you do for the repo. It is easier for noobs like me to keep up with changes the way it is. Besides if people want advanced features that can easily be added them selves they should do so. It is part of the leaning process. If they really want to get adventurous they can always try packages from your repo. You have already made most if not all of the usual manual tasks integrated into the welcome app. I really don’t understand why people are opposed to things like EOS update notifier. I don’t use pamac and wont. Sure you can use checkupdates but why when I can just get a popup to remind me there is something new. You have done a wonderful job of making the noob experience here more palatable. You have enough on your plate already let us not cater to the lazy. :hugs:

10 Likes

The only thought I have is that big numbers of updates occur only in 2 specific circumstances…

1. I have been bust, and haven’t visited the particular distro in a week!
  2. The is a particular package with many (!) parts and pieces that has happened to hit their update cycle on that day. Gambas (as programming environment) is like that - I have seen something like 80 packages on it alone…

I find it is best to apply relatively frequently, so you have the ‘time’ or attention to see what is being updated. I find there are about 3 ‘update problems’ a year and perhaps a manual intervention or 2 which you often know about before you hit ‘go’. Not a huge problem to handle, and worth it to be as ‘current’ as Arch and EndeavourOS enable…

2 Likes

I must admit I hate having updates at the pace Arch is throwing them at us. I update once a week, but then again I’m not using Arch :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: At least that’s what people on Arch forums would tell me :smiley:

It’s usually about 40-80 packages that get to be updated at this pace which I can live with. I read the output carefully to see if any package required any manual step and that’s that. I hate interrupting what i do to update the system twice daily, and I also hate notification sitting there til I have time for update.

2 Likes

Is it green? My little green Gecko friend had 270 updates. But again Open Suse Tumbelweed is rolling also & it’s plasma which just gave me 5.19

3 Likes

I think opensuse also has more granular packages so the number of packages probably isn’t really comparable in this case.

4 Likes

Is it in a day or a week? :scream:

1 Like

Thats it. Thanks @FredBezies, you have nailed the exact problem.
Just checked https://download.kde.org/stable/plasma/ , they had released 5.19.0 on 10th June and 5.19.1 on 16th, resulting in corresponding updates from Arch.
Thanks again.

1 Like

I’m not 100% but i don’t think it was very long. I was thinking it was a day or so. But, i wasn’t keeping track.

Edit: Mouse scroll works for change desktop. :grin:

2 Likes

@abhayks
In a way, I am with you.
Yes, it’s nice to get access to the latest software BUT, most of the updates are soooooo tiny that I usually wait for a week or longer and then, collectively, update everything.

If the updates brought new features (I know, unrealistic) then I’d be the first to welcome each and every one but as I said, the improvements are usually unnoticeable.
Still, I have stopped distro hopping since I’ve moved to Arch-based distros. Rolling releases are the way to go. Luckily, we have fast internet here in Vancouver. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Both KDE and Gnome are big packages providers… Every single major or minor updates of them, and you can see something like 50 to 60 packages changed… So :smiley:

3 Likes

Same

Same here. Today only two updates, file and bind tools, both upstream version updates so Arch had to incorporate. These are important utilities, so I’ll update now. However, I plan to perform updates only over the weekend, going forward.

2 Likes

@Tasia91
Like i said on my previous post i got a lot of updates on Open Suse Plasma. Today is the same!

Screenshot_20200618_170619

3 Likes

Being on a Rolling Distro and complaining about frequent updates is kind of humorous

2 Likes

I’m not complaining … just pointing out that some other rolling releases have more updates than Arch sometimes. It’s not really the number of updates as opposed to the total size of the updates i suppose? But yes if you don’t like too many updates then go Debian! :grin:

1 Like

at the end does not mather how much updates you get, you can wait a bit but not to long… but if you got lot of packages to updates atleast not to long but you can always crawls upstream issues basicly. the thumbleweed is basicly a testing for Leap and Leap is foundation of suse itself basicly… arch has no such foundation :slight_smile: only leap is Manjaro… but there is sometimes users that wait too long and i mean like a year, then it wil become most dificult.; some weeks is ok, you can find feedback quickly but waiting much long things become more unknown… some users also do 2 moments a week… but best is doind a update when you have spare time, quick update with no spare time is not always good. This os is my only system … even its borked i have the time to fix it… Most do with arch-chroot, but im more systemd-nspawn fan… im thinking to overhaul my system reinstall but thinking to make VM’s but i dont know yet… got to try it out for myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

i wasnt imply you are, just the OP not wanting to update frequently on a rolling distro

1 Like

I knew what you meant. It is humorous. :grinning:

1 Like

wierd complaining about it while using a rolling distro. if its application and security stuff updates then fine. but its updates because of changes in bling like wallpaper, conky or a few bash alias etc like some other distro i know, then nono-too distracting!

1 Like

First time i’ve seen u here. I was running archlabs, and ironically that was my silent complaint. Too many updates. Actually it wasn’t the updates that i realized i had a problem with, it was the update notifier that popped up all the time. With eos I can ignore it for a while. the updates go quickly depending on what you installed.

1 Like

The more important thing is not a notifier in Arch, it is to remember to double check if anything needs to be done during an update.
Subscribing to the Arch News CSS feed is a good idea if you tend to just update daily so you don’t screw something up.

3 Likes