To move to EndeavourOS or Not?

Hi @Cencar
This is more than perfect.

I do not know your system details, bootloader…etc.
But it is generally recommended to use the LTS Kernel. Try it and see how it goes and let me know.
I am sure the experts here can help you have the kernel you need, but it will get updated anyway! So, again, maybe LTS would help. If you are going to reinstall give KDE Plasma a try. You already have enough RAM.
Maybe post inxi -Fxxx output can help.

The Manjaro forum is known for being a vile environment. Pls don’t let that reflect on the distro itself.

Right-O! For exactly that reason I went back from labour-intense EOS back to Manjaro. That said, I received nothing but very polite help here in the EOS forum. Highly recomended. And thinking about it, once you got your system running, and don’t bother installing new updates, like, every 30 minutes, EOS is the bestest OS evarrr! It is, after install, pure ArchLinux! Something Manjo will never be.

3 Likes

Actually. … That’s pretty spot on.

5 Likes

I never identified Manjaro Linux with its community. Manjaro is a great project. This was the first Arch-based distribution I came across.

The fact is that Manjaro comes with a lot of things out of the box, so it’s more beginner friendly, but it’s also true that while I’ve been using it, I’ve still run into more bugs than I ever have when using Antergos/EndeavourOS.

2 Likes

Imagine this conversation actually happened.
Vile is not enough!

1 Like

Oh! :open_mouth: How come? :thinking: I’m running Manjo with interruptions since ver. 0.83 (late 2013) or sumfink. Am now back fullltime since I left EOS, like a year ago or so. No probs whatsoever. Runs like clockwork.

Replace HDD with SSD and these PCs will start flying. For Linux these PCs are not old at all.

1 Like

I do not know. Maybe because the Manjaro Stable packages are updated less often than EOS, which is much closer to Arch, so the bugs that often come from Arch remain unfixed for longer than in the case of EOS.

Yes, that guy is right. For actual Linux questions the EOS forum is ideal! Super duper frenly and really helpful. They “prayed” me thru an Nvidia installation … and I didn’t need to RTFM at all. Ok, now on Manjo I don’t need either, neither forum nor the FM. Shit is adorable like Mint, just werkz.

Thanks for the complement.
I just stated that after being on Linux since 2000. Since I started I found no forum/community/developers as here.

The core concept about “open source”/Linux is that users, developers… ARE the community, a community nobody has an upper hand! This is here, only here.

I repeat again, I could get support here for apps that are not even Arch specific, normal apps better, faster and effective than I got from the developers themselves.
A wonderful distro and a wonderful community.

2 Likes

What? That is a gross comment - and bashing at best.

The Linux kernel is complex and may cause issues over time - especially when running an Arch based system.

The majority Arch based distributions (Manjaro not withstanding) operates only with the latest LTS and the latests mainline kernel as defined on https://kernel.org

There is also a few other kernels but they are tuned from the latest mainline.

If you - for some reason - usually hardware related - need a specific kernel you need to build it yourself.

1 Like

I’m more than happy to leave the upper hand to the experts, and just ride along. :hugs:

It’s what I hear. Just relaying the community’s voice. This was a statement about human meaniepooface behaviour, I didn’t say anything about kernels. Or LTS versions.

When I started using it in 2013, community was fine, yeah, friendly forum/community is great, but what matters first is the software.

The fact is that Manjaro comes with a lot of things out of the box, so it’s more beginner friendly, but it’s also true that while I’ve been using it, I’ve still run into more bugs than I ever have when using Antergos/EndeavourOS.

With Manjaro the unstable/testing branchs are some kind of bug filter for the stable branch.

Manjaro use the stable kernel as default, but has a lot of choice :

https://packages.manjaro.org/?query=linux5
https://packages.manjaro.org/?query=linux6

And very easy to install/remove with the mhwd-kernel tool.

HP laptop with “Sandy Bridge” Intel Pentium CPU (2 cores), 4GB RAM, 500GB hard disk (not SDD) originally came with Windows8, upgraded with Windows10 21H2 (rarely going into it any longer), reports “Intel MESA” as graphics driver so no NVIDIA LOL, Wifi not capable of “broadband” it seems, by Ralink but seems to be distributed by the computer manufacturer.

I have actually considered joining that forum, or the Arch Linux one instead of this one but declined. A few uptight people in there, as in “keep it short and in topic always”. Nope.

There will always be bashers of Manjaro for the goodness of the distro itself. I don’t really like “rolling release” but I take advantage for a short time longer I have Internet. Manjaro is sort of a midway point for me between Arch and Debian, as far as updating is concerned. I have stuck with the Linux v5.15 LTS kernel. Once I did try to upgrade to v5.18 which was near-new at the time, but when I booted with it, it didn’t work properly on my computer. Only when they decide to raise the LTS to a later kernel I will switch.

On my HDD I have Manjaro MATE which was supposed to be the daily driver. I’m using Brave as web browser there which is from AUR. :open_mouth: The disk is very slow which is off-putting sometimes, but it cannot be blamed on the distro. Also since it’s not an “official” flavor, I had expected issues such as one day I was doing something memory-heavy. All I remember is that I closed Brave. Then it suddenly disappeared the panel and when I tried to do something about it, an automatic reboot that I expected only from Windows.

It has been reliable. I also have Manjaro KDE on an external disk. I was forced to create “swap” partition on the same disk, and disable composition so it flies through things.

Let us stay somewhat on topic. There is no need to bash other forums or distros. Constructive criticisms and discussion of experiences using other distros are welcome, but no bashing.

Unless they themselves go off topic. If you say something unrelated but they agree than you’re also in the clear.

Had many of my posts deleted just because I said something that current governments deem to be misinformation. That forum is pure :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I’m sorry. I was only describing my own experience. It was only from a few things I read and otherwise I like to focus on the “Say hello” long-running thread of any forum. “Moving” to EndeavourOS or any other distro is a matter of opinion, especially when somebody is looking for a significant reduction in startup time, or the one who “really needs” Wifi working or something else.