Timeshift shipped by default

Exactly! :rofl:

1 Like

Never tried this game. Now will look into download and play. Available in AUR?

It’s in the repos, but the version there is broken. There is also a version in the AUR, which is also broken.

You could compile it from source code, but it needs an old version of the Boost library, getting it running on Arch is almost impossible.

The easiest way to play it is to use a windoze version and run it with wine.

The Frogatto situation is really dreadful.

Topic about it:

1 Like

:wink:

2 Likes

Installing timeshift is simple. Setting it up is easy. Takes no time. With btrfs you can also use timeshift or install snapper and the btrfs-assistant. Also very easy and simple. No difficult set up since the btrfs install on Calamares provides for most an easy configuration to use snapper and or timeshift. No need for these packages to come preinstalled. We do need a package though called the purple Frog!

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

I may have stuffed up my install. I went with online installer and Gnome and chose the btrfs file system as I thought I could do snapshots with it. It didn’t create the extended @ directories like I thought it would’ve though. Below is what my system is like using gnome disks:

1. EFI Partition = /dev/nvme0n1p1 (Fat 32 - 315 MB - Mounted at /boot/efi)
  2. Root Partition = /dev/nvme0n1p2 (BTRFS - 502 GB — 496 GB free - Mounted at Filesystem Root)
  3. Swap Partition = /dev/nvme0n1p3 (Linux Swap - 9.4 GB - active)

Does this mean that I have to do a reinstall to be able to do a complete system snapshot? It won’t matter if I have to as it’s only a new install and would rather it be done correctly. I want my system setup so it does one at boot and one daily at say 5:00pm. Also should I also use snapper? Any tips and advice will be appreciated.

If you use the command:

sudo btrfs subvolume list /

You should see the subvolumes.

Unreal. Thanks @eznix very much appreceated. So now I just need to learn how to use timeshift and snapper…

Remember, snapshots are not backups and work best as intended, to save a system state in case it becomes necessary to restore to a working state. Back up your /home folder on removable media or on a server (your own, or cloud based).

Thanks. I always save copies of docs, pictures etc on my other pc.

Comparing distributions this way, doesn’t make much sense, because a lot of times stuff is packaged differently.

3 Likes