Timeshift couldn’t delete old snapshots, shows errors, file system read only

Hey,

I’m very sorry I have to duplicate this topic as I marked it “solved” by @dalto and it was then closed, but the behavior is back again :’(

Hi,

I use timeshift with autosnap and now it runs into errors each time it’s called (i.e. when I update the system).
I don’t really know how this problem appeared, I think after an update…

It says it cannot remove snapshots as the files system is read only.

rm: impossible de supprimer '/run/timeshift/backup/timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-09-20_16-05-03/@/[...]': Système de fichiers accessible en lecture seulement

E: Failed to remove snapshot: 2021-09-20_16-05-03

The snapshots related to the problem don’t appear in the list if I launch the timeshift app.
Only one snapshot was mentioned in the first place, but know there’s three, and I guess it will go on and on each time it will try to remove the old ones to replace it with the newest…

Does anybody have an idea how I could deal with this issue by any chance ? (and… yes… I should deal with snapshot manually instead of using timeshift I guess :upside_down_face:)

Cheers !

You need to use btrfs to either delete the read-only snapshots or convert them to read-write.

Also, make sure you have updated timeshift so it won’t happen anymore.

1 Like

I don’t have enough knowledge or experience using Btfs and Timeshift with snapshots. I did originally have it running on one system and i set it up via the wiki by @2000. I have since switched to Btrfs with snapper and snapper-rollback and also have snapper-gui installed too. I just find it easier because i want to be able to rollback easily without going through a lot of work to do it.

1 Like

Everything is supposed to be up to date… So I guess I should delete all the snapshots and the future ones won’t be problematic ?

I don’t have enough knowledge or experience using Btfs and Timeshift with snapshots. I did originally have it running on one system and i set it up via the wiki by @2000.

which is exactly my case!

Yes, it looks like it was updated on October 8th so depending on when you updated timeshift, anything before that would be read-only

Timeshift can also do this…

2 Likes

Yes, it looks like it was updated on October 8th so depending on when you updated timeshift, anything before that would be read-only

I’m not in front of the machine right now but I think the read-only snapshots are totally before that date.
I will try asap.
Many thanks !

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.