ThinkStation P310 SFF with Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 Arch support

legacy Nvidia will not be installed from installer yes, it will use nouveau open-source driver.
And also our nvidia-installer-dkms script will not install legacy, this must be done by hand then if you want to go for it.

1 Like

How suitable is it for average daily use and what are its possible disadvantages?

1 Like

nouveau driver improves a lot in the last time, you will be happy with it for daily usage, only gaming will be not that nice.

1 Like

Ich dachte, der Nachteil von Open Source-Treibern liegt in Spielen, aber ich spiele nicht wirklich auf dem PC, also hat es keinen wirklichen Einfluss auf mich. Danke fĆ¼r Ihre Antwort. :slight_smile: Ich habe das zu diesem Thema gefunden. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-nouveau-2019&num=1

1 Like

my wife using an older thinkpad with legacy nvidia and it runs nicely for watching video and streams but yea no gaming at her side :wink:
Needs only a little setup:

4 Likes

I also have a Thinkpad, but it has an Intel video card in it. I used Geforce a long time ago, not under Linux at all so far.

• video card is required ( not present on Xeon )
  • may be the fans & sound near these server
  • check also power supply
1 Like

You can install nvidia drivers with:

yay -S nvidia-390xx-dkms nvidia-390xx-utils lib32-nvidia-390xx-utils

The AUR packages are so far maintained, but might not be in the future. The drivers should work well with kernels 5.9 and 5.4 (LTS). When there is a major release update to kernels or xorg, you should be careful of updating. Use timeshift.

Other than that, I think youā€™ll be fine.

There is a decent chance that the 605 works sufficiently well with nouveau. I would try these open drivers first. See the feature matrix here: https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/FeatureMatrix.html
It is super slow anyways :wink:

Of course, if you can replace the GPU card then this is a non-issue. Replace it with a cheap AMD card and away you go.

1 Like

What do you mean by that?

What do you mean by these?

I canā€™t replace the GPU card yet. What is the possible disadvantage of this?

I mean that the 605 is a very slow graphics card/chip, compared with more modern chips.
Therefore, you might just use the free and open nouveau driver (if it works) instead of the closed nvidia driver.

and as i say older nvidia GPU running quite nice with nouveau driver, even better if you use the modsetting one from kernel without installing xf86-video-nouveau

1 Like

Yep. In my old computer I have a 460 (same arch as the 605 AFAIK) which works very well with nouveau and also has acceptable performance in simple games. Power saving does not work 100% correctly but it is passively cooled so not a big issue.

Thank you for your helpful comments. This confirms that at least for work and possibly older classic games, I can safely use this machine with EndeavourOS.

1 Like

In the meantime, the offline installation took place, which went smoothly, but of course I tried it on a live system before that. I have to say that the Nvidia Nouveau driver also does its thing, considering that I donā€™t play, itā€™s suitable for average daily use. So far, Iā€™m also happy with the machine and the EOS running on it, and although it has 16GB of RAM, I still created a swap partition.

1 Like

There is a less annoying bug that when you click restart when you log out of Xfce, the machine sometimes does not reboot but shuts down. What could be the reason for this?