Terminal Word game :) A great intro to the terminal

Ah, I’m sorry, I didn’t know that, sorry … :pensive:

top - display linux processes :slight_smile:

paccache -d ~ paccache removes old packages from the pacman cache directory.
-d flag performs a dry run, only finding candidate packages.

1 Like

:rofl: does options too count?

Yeah, I’m not sure if flags count, so I’ll fix it now.

detox - Detox is a utility designed to clean up filenames. It replaces difficult to work with characters, such as spaces, with standard equivalents.

Example
before:
The Rolling Stones
after:
The_Rolling_Stones

3 Likes

xdg-open - opens a file or URL in the user’s preferred application

1 Like

ncmpcpp - music player (front end for mpd)

1 Like

printf - format and print data

Like echo but provides better formatting features. Resembles C language function printf().

figlet - display large characters made up of ordinary screen characters

figlet

2 Likes

tldr - man pages shortened with most common examples

Example:

patryk@patryk-pc ~ % tldr top
# top                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Display dynamic real-time information about running processes.                                                                                                                                                                              

- Start top:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

top                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

- Do not show any idle or zombie processes:                                                                                                                                                                                                   

top -i

1 Like

reboot - reboot the machine

tmux (ofc) - it’s a terminal multiplexer for anyone who don’t know

xrandr - I use it to change monitor align from cli, probably you can do way more with that.

reflector - select and rank Arch mirrors

Very useful for sorting mirror issues.

1 Like

rm - remove directory entries

man - man is the system’s manual pager

I would die without it…

make - maintain, update, and regenerate groups of programs

Last was from @patryk ‘N’

nmtui - Text User Interface for controlling NetworkManager

@ringo I guess that we should check wheter something was used before, nmtui is doubled now, as @Maddi used it before :wink:

But continuing:
iostat - nice tool to watch how your disks are performing with I/O operations

1 Like

transmission-cli bittorrent client