Tapping touchpad for left clicking no longer works

As the title says, it is no longer possible to tap the touchpad for left clicking, only hard a press that generates an audible clicking sound works for left clicking.
I have done nothing in the settings lately, only updated the system. what can be done to regain the original function of the touchpad?

a bit more info would be good. Did this stop working after a particular update? Do you have timeshift installed and did that help when loading a previous snapshot? And what is the DE you are using? Your touchpad settings, anything odd in there etc.

1 Like

a bit more info would be good.

sure!

Did this stop working after a particular update?

I can’t say for sure, but I believe so, yes.

Do you have timeshift installed and did that help when loading a previous snapshot?

never heard of timeshift. I don’t use it.

And what is the DE you are using? Your touchpad settings, anything odd in there etc.

Please clarify. What is DE?

DE = Desktop Environment, such as Gnome, xfce4, KDE, etc.
WM = Windows Manager, such as i3, Openbox, sway, etc.

Pudge

Desktop Environment is Cinnamon

get a different distro, or probably just endeavour on ur usb, and boot into the live env, does it work there?

Check to see if you have xorg-xinput installed: pacman -Qs xinput
Install it if you don’t have it

xinput

• this will give a list of your devices. Find the number for your touchpad. You’ll need this later

xinput list-props N

• N being your device number

Now the hard part. One or more of these may be about clicking, tapping, etc. The names will be vendor specific AFAIK. Let’s assume you find one for tapping, and it’s 0, meaning off. Find it’s ID, then use xinput again:

xinput set-prop N ID 1

N = device
ID = the numbers in parens in the list-props list.

If it works now, save that last xinput command, and put that in a place where you launch other startup programs for Cinnamon.

How’d this get unset? Not clear. It’d depend wholly on what your last update did. These shouldn’t get overwritten, but perhaps a driver change/move for your device did it.

3 Likes

andrewb,
By following your instructions the ability to just tap to left-click was regained. Thank you very much. You rock!

Cool. Write the command you used down. You’ll likely need it at every future distro install.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.