Tailscale install alternative to CLI?

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with tailscale from AUR? I downloaded using the CLI method on their website, and for linux it’s a terrible mess, especially with the DNS issues. All my other devices work fine, but only on Linux does it run strange. I am looking at the AUR and I see a few of them, but I am surprised at how little activity there is with tailscale in the AUR. Right now, I find myself executing this fix rather regularly to fix the DNS issues.

No need to install anything from the AUR, Tailscale is in the [extra] repo.

sudo pacman -S tailscale

No terrible mess.

I opened an issue for the DNS problem and they put in a fix for it yesterday.

The updated version of the package hasn’t been pushed to the repo yet so I haven’t had a chance to test it out. In the meanwhile I have been just manually overriding /etc/resolv.conf instead of enabling systemd-resolved.

sudo sed -i "s|192.168.204.2|100.100.100.100|" /etc/resolv.conf

or

echo 'nameserver 100.100.100.100' | sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf

From there, Tailscale works great.

3 Likes

Okay, if they fixed it, and it’s waiting to pushed, that’s a good sign. Right now, I am experiencing DNS issues when changing DNS in tailscale nameserver settings. I have to keep fixing the DNS with the link I put in my original post.

What I really was asking is if there’s a GUI client that I can use to monitor the status of my tailscale client, kinda like how the official clients do. Do you know if any exist on the AUR that work?

If that really bother you, you can make the file immutable with

sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

and to make it mutable

sudo chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf

I suspect this would only work if I don’t change the DNS once muting it. If I change the DNS, I imagine it will break, wouldn’t it?

Nothing will be able to overwriting it with the +i flag. If you want to edit the file, you will need to

unlock > edit > lock it

1 Like

Someone put together a GTK app written in Go:

It appears to be getting active development, although the author warns it is “in an alpha state”.

I’ve never used it so I have no idea if it is any good. You’ll have to try it out for yourself and let us know how you like it.

Yea, I love the warning the developer wrote saying “if it bricks your computer it’s not my fault” Yea that’s really convincing me to install it :joy:

I installed it, great application. You actually should check it yourself. Thanks!