'systemd-machine-id-setup' installation error

Hi there everyone,

I’m trying my hand at my very first arch linux distro and wanted to run EndeavourOS on my new SSD (plugged in from a USB 3 port) from a bootable USB. When I try and install, it shoots an error before too long into the process:

/usr/sbin/chroot: failed to run command ‘systemd-machine-id-setup’: No such file or directory

If you guys would like my full system logs from the install, they’re right here: https://termbin.com/xas3

Another thing to note, as I’m not sure what information is relevant, is that the drive I’m attempting to write to has all of the partitions (swap/ext4/etc) created, and I have to unplug the USB SSD in order to use gparted to erase the partitions to try to install again.

Any help would be appreciated, as I really am curious and want to explore what looks to be a super cool OS. Thank you! :slight_smile:

What partitions are already created on the SSD. Something doesn’t look right in the installer log. Did you create manual partitions during the install process. Please explain what you are doing. If you are booting a live usb on a computer and are trying to install to an SSD plugged in it should be straight forward. What is on the computer you are booting from? Is secure boot and csm disabled? I am assuming it is UEFI?

I did some fiddling and figured out my own issue. It was something about the way it was trying to partition my drive when I selected “Erase disk”. After I restarted and tried to install with the same settings again, it worked. The only difference was that it used one big partition instead of creating two partitions, one was a smaller partition roughly 300Mb in size. I guess this is one of those, “have you tried turning it off and back on again?” moments. Either way, it’s installed and I’m excited to give this thing a spin. Thanks!

I could be wrong, but since you mention 300MB, that could be the UEFI boot partition (/boot/efi) which is required (unless you chose MBR). That can be confirmed if it is formatted as fat32, and you are curious.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.