Systemd free?

That is a pretty accurate summary. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

First you should know that this is something that some people a very passionate about. For the record, I am not one of those people.

From my perspective much of the systemd debate was nothing but baseless FUD. There are some historical issues that played into the discussion. At the time systemd was introduced it brought a monumental change to how things were managed. Many people don’t like change. On top of that, systemd introduced a lot of bugs in it’s early days. Lastly, systemd brought a degree of standardization to Linux and people feared Linux distros would lose some degree of their individuality. That last thing did happen but whether it is a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of perspective.

Here is how I would categorize what is left

Pros:

• A unified way to manage a broad range of services/functions across a broad variety of distros.
  • New tools and functionality are being added all the time.

Cons:

• It has a large and complicated code base which makes it harder to audit to ensure there are no security issues
  • It strays from the unix philosophy of creating small targeted applications that serve a single purpose

As for my personal opinion, at the time it came out, I wasn’t much bothered either way. However, now that I have used it for this long, whenever I uses non-systemd distro I lament the lack of the familiar tools systemd brings. On top of that, I am reminded of how much of a pain it was to work with a lot of different distros all of which had their own init systems. Doing something as simple as starting a service required different steps in every single distro.

One of the distros I find interesting is Void linux but I rarely actually use it because of the lack of systemd.

6 Likes