Systemd-boot: some new-beginner's questions

Got it! I’ll get back right after I have done this. Thank you!

1 Like

Looks suspicious, why root partition has the same UUID as /var/log?

Because they are both in the same btrfs partition. That is normal.

What isn’t normal is the fact that for some reason @pebcak keeps specifying his mount lines by both subvol and subvolid. :innocent:

2 Likes

I’m in! Thanks a lot!
I am beginning to feel at home in a black TTY :sweat_smile:

I’m not to blame! genfstab is! It does generate those entries like that. I remove them afterwards since you pointed it out to me once before.

Thank you so much again! Now I can breath until I start messing around with multi-booting.

I just take the moment to enjoy the black of the TTY with the white text saying:

Arch Linux 5.13.13-zen-1-zen (tty1)
arch-gnome login: _

and the blinking _ inviting me to yet new adventures.

1 Like

Congrats!

As a side note, you might consider switching to zstd for compression as well.

2 Likes

Yep, i approve! :+1:
Very fast.

1 Like

Thanks to you and thank you!

Apropos zstd, I will change that too. Just recall reading in btrfs wiki that for most use cases lzo was as good an alternative. I’ll link to that later if you want me to. But if you think zstd is a better option, then I go for that.

It used to use lzo but in most cases I think zstd is better. It has only been an option since kernel 4.14.

1 Like

Alright! Will change it!
I can’t thank you enough for your support. That means a lot.

:bouquet:

3 Likes

I had this error message just now:

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-zen.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux-zen -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-zen.img
==> ERROR: specified kernel image does not exist: `/boot/vmlinuz-linux-zen'
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-zen.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux-zen -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-zen-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> ERROR: specified kernel image does not exist: `/boot/vmlinuz-linux-zen'

and looking for the “boot” folder linked to /efi/arch-gnome it was eampty and the link seems to have been broken. Don’t know why it happened. I don’t seem to be able to recreate the link.

Why not? Do you get an error?

I tried to make a link from inside Nemo, opened as root in the /efi directory and it said

Screenshot from 2021-09-01 20-57-21

But I did it now from the terminal and it worked. I wonder what happened that it just vanished.

1 Like

Since the incident of the the symlink being “mysteriously” broken/vanished yesterday, I think perhaps mount-binding the two directories is a more robust solution. For making a persistent mount-bind, do I need to add something like the following to /etc/fstab?

/efi/arch-gnome /boot none bind 0 0

Yes. Make sure you test it before you reboot.

• Add the entry to /etc/fstab
  • Delete the symlink
  • sudo mkdir /boot
  • sudo mount /boot
1 Like

Worked a treat! Everything came up after a reboot!
Grazie mille!
(just for a linguistic change :blush:)

1 Like