Systemd-boot shows only EOS and Windows in Triple boot

I just installed EOS and was able to boot into it. Unfortunately, Ubuntu is no longer available in systemd boot. Windows is fine, and I can run it.

Before that I had Dualboot (Windows 8 and Ubuntu with GRUB2), loading into Ubuntu.
All 3 Systems are on their own SSDs.

Any ideas how to fix this would be appreciated.

Welcome to EndeavourOS.

Keep in mind that the default way EndeavourOS is set up, it can only detect itself and Windows. Telling by Calamares install logs, it required a coding hurdle to make sure the Windows Boot Manager was shown along with “EndeavourOS Linux”.

This works with GRUB but not sure about the other option: Have to change the “OS_PROBER” flag in “/etc/default/grub”. Someone else will tell you who knows more about it.

Create a file named /efi/loader/entries/ubuntu.conf

The contents should be something like:

title  Ubuntu
efi     /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi

You can get the exact filename from your EOS install by looking in /efi/EFI/ubuntu

1 Like

Oh, thank you so much, I didn’t know that!

@dalto: Thank you. Unfortunately, I do not have a Folder “Ubuntu” in EFI. Can I find that out looking into the Ubuntu-partition? (I can mount the partition).

Oh, you have completely separate EFI partitions for each disk?

systemd-boot expects a single EFI partition even when there are separate disks involved.

There is a somewhat complicated workaround here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-boot#Boot_from_another_disk

1 Like

Unfortunately yes.
Thank you for the link. I do hope that I’ll manage to use the workaround. Your choice of words worries me a bit there…

@dalto: Quick question how can I find the full path of the destination EFI? ubuntus /boot/efi/ is empty… I couldn’t find an EFI file on the partition.
And what is an FS alias?

Was the EFI partition mounted at the time? Make sure you are looking in Ubuntus EFI partition.

After installing the package edk2-shell

Run sudo cp /usr/share/edk2-shell/x64/Shell.efi /efi/shellx64.efi

Then reboot into the new entry that will create. From there, run the command map and you can get the alias from there.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your assistance dalto!!!

EDIT:
Finally I got it to work. I booted into Ubuntu where I got the information needed with efibootmgr -v (the path, and the partition FS, Instructions here). Based on those information I was able to find out which FS alias to use.
From there on it was relatively easy to use the instructions provided by you.

The funny thing is: If I now select “Ubuntu” from the boot-menu, I actually jump into GRUB, where I can select Ubuntu or Windows again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.