Systemd-boot? because I still only want 1 partition!

ok I’ve just been reading up but I’m still confused
At the moment I have a single ext4 partition which is ‘old fashioned’ dos mbr boot…
I could use UEFI with my hardware but I don’t want to have a second partition! This ‘new style boot’ isn’t that new when you additionally need an ESP partition formatted with ‘olde worlde’ FAT32 is it!? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
So to be a ‘totally modern guy’ can I change my config so that I get rid of grub, and have systemd-boot or bootctl and/or some sort of efistub on the single ext4 partition?
Thanks!

try it first out VM :slight_smile:
i use my self systemd-boot, totaly hide it from boot… it not someting automatical using bootctl. dit install was MSDATA something on /boot/efi was a pain with bootctl, had changed to ef(and something) totaly blindly but didnt removed the grub directly so i came in after it…

after it worked i removed grub when i was sure… im not a efi expert just followed a link, but with bootctl --path=/boot/efi but depends i think how it setup ?

this is my fdisk:

ringo@Konoha ~ % sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
Schijf /dev/sda: 238,49 GiB, 256060514304 bytes, 500118192 sectoren
Disk model: SSDPR-CX400-256
Eenheid: sectoren van 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sectorgrootte (logisch/fysiek): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
In-/uitvoergrootte (minimaal/optimaal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Schijflabeltype: gpt
Schijf-ID: 18BCEDA1-F225-4C43-81F4-CCB8579B9C8F

Apparaat Begin Einde Sectoren Grootte Type
/dev/sda1 34 1026047 1026014 501M EFI-systeem
/dev/sda2 1026048 500118158 499092111 238G Linux bestandssysteem

yeah 500 is a bit overdone… im a bit overdone :slight_smile:

converting from MBR to GPT and also installing you have to watch out make sure things are installed ,like all efi related stuf that might needed.

1 Like

I don’t think 500 is overdone for EFI. I think it is the better. IMHO

1 Like

With very few exceptions the 100 Mb windows creates at install is enough to map /boot/efi in if you dual boot with Windows. I have quadrupled-booted three distros and Windows 10 and still had 20Mb+ left of that.
Manjaro’s default settings in the Calamares installer if you do automatic partitioning / wipe disk (so it’s the only OS) is 300 Mb which feels like an enormous overkill for just one Linux distro and nothing more.

There ARE a few distros that do it the dumb way tho. Pop! for example forces you to have the kernels as well as bootloader in the efi partition which means you really should give it a 1Gb efi partition. But that is one of the few weird ones.

I disagree with you on that. Microsoft’s 100Mb is not big enough IMHO. 500 Mb is nothing in terms of space on current drives today. I use 500 on mine and i will always change the default Microsoft EFI partition because it is too small. I also use a separate EFI partition on my Linux drive. But, that’s just my opinion. I’m not concerned about space. :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree with half of that.
But the very definition of “enough” is Enough. 100Mb is obviously enough, since well, it is enough.

ANYWAY, yes, Since I have Linux on a completely separate 1TB harddrive I have created a 500Mb EFI partition on it for Endeabour. Because why not.

If anyone’s interested my whole scheme is:
EFI 500Mb Fat32
/ 25GB Ext4
/home the rest, Ext4
and on an external 3TB drive I back up my entire linux drive (all files, all partitions) with time shift once a week.

That’s exactly what i did also. Matter of fact i think Antergos also did that if you installed automatic and use entire disk method which also gave me a boot partition too. My opinion on the Microsoft is that i have had issues with it not working properly with 100 Mb EFI and when i made it larger problem solved. Again there are so many variables because hardware is all over the map and a lot of vendors are not following the UEFI specifications exactly how they were written. Everyone does something slightly different. Not only that, but a lot of this hardware is designed for Windows so you have to find a way around some things in Linux.

1 Like

@driver69 Here’s a little something for you on Systemd and EFI.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/gummiboot.html

in drivers case is a mbr standard convert to gpt is always risky backup stuf atleast.

Oh i see he has MBR but converted to GPT. I guess to get around the limitations of MBR with partitions?

currently he switched of uefi and using mbr in this case, to do transformation it must convert to gpt to use efi and install systemd-boot

1 Like

@driver69
If you have a working system now, why break it? Are you going to expand it somehow?

I using systemd-boot just i like the vendor logo at boot, could stayed at grub actually, but vendor logo didnt work somehow :slight_smile:

I assume that you intend to re-partition and re-install your system and backed-up documents. If your computer is uefi-compatible (most computers now are), you should be using a uefi installation. Whether it’s a straight Arch install or an Endeavouros install, re-partitioning your SSD/HDD is a breeze. I prefer to use cfdisk which I find much easier and informative than GParted, but it doesn’t matter. The important thing is that your SSD/HDD must be partitioned as GPT. You set this in cfdisk before doing anything else and the same must be true of GParted. On endeavour OS, you can just create a new single ext4 partition (also shown as linux partition). Then in the endeavour install, go for the ‘erase disk’ option for partitioning and the installer will give you a nice efi partition on /dev/sdX1 of about 300M and an ext4 partition using the rest of the disk. The installer will then install GRUB2 in boot/efi without you having to worry about anything. Personally, in Arch Linux I use bootctl, but that option is not currently available in endeavouros, I believe.

Hi @Beardedgeek72 your choice of EFI 500Mb is near from the gdisk author who suggest 550Mb already spoken here. (Mb = Mo)

For an EFI partition, Arch recommends 260 - 512 MiB for the ESP (/boot or /boot/efi) if using systemd-boot. I always set the /dev/sda1 to 512MiB, but I’m no expert. At the moment, my /boot partition is using just 46MiB.