System Tray: Friendly Advice (while using Latte Dock)

Bugs:

1. Spotify GUI not working: song would play, but if i clicked next, shuffle, etc., it would be delayed or not register.
  2. Keyboard shortcuts (play pause & next) didn’t work

The Solution: (afaik)
I found out that the system tray is vital for a lot of functions and you need it in its entirety: even if the icons are all hidden.
see " Volume control, notifications or multimedia keys do not work"

Further Info
I was trying to use Latte Dock to only show the “icons” I normally use to minimize clutter. I implemented this as a top panel that used the widgets as buttons, not he system tray. The way I have it now is all those same widgets with the system tray added, except I right-clicked on system tray and turn visibility of all the other icons to “always hidden” except for media player, which shows when necessary.

Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here.
Hope this helps somebody.

from aur or flatpak ?

It’s the one from the AUR. The package itself is “spotify”.

Seems like a feature to me. :frog:

Not sure what you mean. It had usually worked without flaws in the past, but then it broke when I changed things up and removed the system tray.

I was half-joking, but there is truth to this joke.

You know how Linux Mint doesn’t let you install snapd by default?

I see this as something similar. I might even give Latte Dock a try, even though I’m not using Spotify, of course. I would never use an 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊𝖑𝖞 𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖕𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖞 streaming service whose whole business is based on defective-by-design concepts like DRM, and install spyware on my computer just so I can “coNsuMe cONteNt”…

So, just knowing that it wouldn’t work with Latte Dock even if I tried, comforts me and makes me feel at ease: like a little assurance that no matter how bad the world gets, everything is going to be fine as long as Latte Dock guards me from evil Spotify. :rofl:

2 Likes

Lmao well latte dock works pretty good and doesn’t consume too many resources for me. Also its not that Spotify doesn’t work at all, its actually just that the system tray needs to be active/on your dock to function right. (either as the full dropdown sys tray or as individual widgets for stuff like the media icon etc.)