System Instability after update

I am new to the forum, sorry if my post isn’t written correctly / is unclear

for the last few days I have gotten some system crashes after each update (The “oh no! something has gone wrong” screen)

I’ve done a few tests, it occurs up to 3 times after I reboot for some core updates. Doesn’t happen on a simple reboot. I’ve got no Xorg logs in /var/log (the log indicates being last modified on february 11th)

the crash occurs when I try to launch an app after I log in, as long as nothing is launched, the system does not crash

I’m using Gnome if that’s any help

Would anybody have a clue on what the issue could be or indicate some things I could check to fix this issue?

you can see if this is relevant to your issue

Hi, thanks for the quick reply !
after re-checking, pacman seems to be up-to-date and doesn’t indicate any issues with any of my downloaded packages. this reminded my I had setup a hook to sign my boot files for secure boot I had forgotten about, perhaps this was causing the issue (though I had done some updates with it that didn’t cause any crashes). I’ll wait and see if this was the cause of the crashes

1 Like

I suggest giving out as much info as possible about when and how this first happened.

give us some basic logs
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/forum-log-tool-options/how-to-include-systemlogs-in-your-post/2021/03/

sure thing
here is the hardware info: https://0x0.st/Xs5v.txt

here are the journalctl logs: https://0x0.st/Xs5w.txt

if anything else is needed I am happy to provide

to continue answering, the issue first happened about 2 days ago after doing my usual system update
did not think much of it since the issue went away after re-logging in
after leaving my computer up over 2 days and seeing I had an update available, I updated and rebooted, and the crash occurred again, but this time happened 3 times in a row when trying to re-log, whit exactly the same behavior: log in, everything is fine, try to launch anything, ~5s freeze, then a crash screen. This happened while trying to open Firefox, a terminal, and trying to open discord. I noticed the window for each of the apps appeared just before the crash, so I thought it might have a link with X org, but I couldn’t get any logs relevant to the issue

The logs you provided aren’t related to the issues you described. In the OP, you mentioned that your applications crashed upon launching, but the logs you provided (as far as I can tell) describe your system’s state after a fresh reboot.

Please try to reproduce the issue and then capture the logs immediately after the application crashed.

It might be worthwhile to try to eliminate the usual suspects (e.g: a partial upgrade). First, update your mirrors. After that, perform a full system upgrade with

$ sudo pacman -Syyu

That is strange.

Because of crashes during update, some packages might be corrupt. Reinstalling a few packages might help.
And try the paccheck command, with option to report only broken packages.

Also, do you have IgnorePkg in use in /etc/pacman.conf?

The crash isn’t an app crashing itself, rather the session crashing when trying to launch any app when rebooting after a system upgrade, I thought it might be something related to Xorg crashing seeing what I got, but i’ve got no relevant logs on this side

i’ve re checked for partial system upgrades, but everything is up-to-date, according to pacman

i’ll be able to reproduce the crash next time there is a system update available I guess, I couldn’t replicate the crash after the described events

sudo paccheck --list-broken returns nothing

i’ve checked my pacman.conf, and no IgnorePkg isn’t in use, the line is commented

to be more precise concerning Xorg logs, I do have the log file, but it hasn’t been updated since february 11th

What happened after the display server crashed? You see a black screen and nothing else? I’m not familiar with the “oh no…” message at all since I’ve never encountered it before. You dropped to a TTY or…?

The journals should yield some useful logs for these types of crashes. A bunch of segfaults, perhaps. Do you happen to remember the exact date the most recent crash occurred?

on looking up to find the crash screen, it seems to be gnome having an error,since the crash screen is similar to this, the only difference being I have a log out button available:

when the error occurs, I get sent back to the login screen
i’ll go check the gnome logs, see if anything helpful is logged

I would just search the journal entries from the get-go. You mentioned earlier that this issue ocurred after a system update. The logical thing to do here is to check your pacman logs to find the exact date said update was performed.

$ paclog

Take note of the exact date of your most recent system udpate. After that, filter the journal entries based on said date:

$ journalctl --since="the date"

If your desktop environment crashed, something must have been logged inside the journals.

Just to eliminate the possibility that a malfunctioning extension might cause any issue, you could consider disabling them all for the moment. That is if you have any installed at all or you haven’t disabled them yet.

last update was yesterday, here is the journalctl for /usr/bin/gnome-session-binary: https://0x0.st/Xs7u.txt

I can’t seem to find any entries on anything fatal in any of the journalctl entries linked to gnome

all my gnome extensions are disabled yes

1 Like

looking at the result of journalctl -x -p err, there is some errors indicating GNOME Shell on X11 failed to start, without any more info :/, i’ll wait for updates to see if the culprit was the pacman hook I mentionned earlier in the thread, otherwise i’ll have to continue digging

To clarify,

mars 28 01:22:00 liam-MAIN gnome-session-binary[2991]: GnomeDesktop-WARNING: Could not create transient scope for PID 3178: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnixProcessIdUnknown: Failed to set unit properties: No such process
-- Boot 594c9437c481412686715b2200d00702 --
mars 29 00:01:57 liam-MAIN gnome-session[845]: gnome-session-binary[845]: WARNING: Could not check if unit gnome-session-x11@gnome-login.target is active: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.systemd1: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1
mars 29 00:01:57 liam-MAIN gnome-session-binary[845]: WARNING: Could not check if unit gnome-session-x11@gnome-login.target is active: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.systemd1: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1
mars 29 00:01:57 liam-MAIN gnome-session[845]: gnome-session-binary[845]: WARNING: Desktop file /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart/orca-autostart.desktop for application orca-autostart.desktop could not be parsed or references a missing TryExec binary
mars 29 00:01:57 liam-MAIN gnome-session-binary[845]: WARNING: Desktop file /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart/orca-autostart.desktop for application orca-autostart.desktop could not be parsed or references a missing TryExec binary
mars 29 00:01:58 liam-MAIN gnome-session-binary[845]: Entering running state
mars 29 00:02:08 liam-MAIN gnome-session-binary[1382]: Entering running state

These are the points where the session crashed, right? You rebooted after you encountered a crash?

These journal entries are quite strange, and I’m having trouble making sense of them. If you rebooted normally from the login screen, the journals should show the reboot process. But those seem to be missing from the entries. Did you hard reset the system by pressing the power button? Is this the full journal?

Can you post the output of

$ journalctl --since "2024-03-27"

Sorry for the delay, I wasn’t on my computer

here is the full journalctl --since "2024-03-27" output: https://0x0.st/XzsC.txt
To clarify , when the session dysfunctions, a log out button appeared, logging out and back in fixed it, without the need for a re boot. added to that the last journalctl entry I gave was only for /usr/bin/gnome-session-binary, perhaps this is why you can’t see the reboot process?