Switching to refind from grub but refind seems to just boot grub which then boots the os

Well i spoke to soon on the BTRFS set up. It doesn’t want to work with multiboot. I can’t understand why. I got it to work on btrfs if i install rEFInd to the desktop with btrfs but then it does the same thing on the other desktops. Only gives me the grub entries. If i use all ext4 i have no issue. So i guess it’s grub is out and so is btrfs if i can’t figure it out. :weary:

Are you saying it just doesn’t detect your boot loaders on your btrfs partition? You might need to add the btrfs driver for refind, iirc.

Btrfs subvolume support
Tip: make sure btrfs_x64.efi driver is installed, it can be installed manually by copying from /usr/share/refind/drivers_x64/btrfs_x64.efi to esp/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/btrfs_x64.efi, or you can install all drivers with the refind-install /dev/sdx --alldrivers option.

No what I’m saying is that it works if i install rEFInd on the btrfs install but then it doesn’t show the vmlinuz-linux icons for the ext4 installs. If i install it on the ext4 installs it doesn’t show the vmlinuz-linux icon on the btrfs install. Getting so frustrated with this. i had a perfect set up for 3 years until this grub issue.

I’m not sure what the subvolume support does? Or how it could be related to this issue?

Oh okay, that’s interesting. Sorry, I’m not sure why that would be… I only have Btrfs/NTFS/FAT32 partitions. The sub volume support is just related to refind being able to scan btrfs sub volumes for boot loaders , I believe.

It’s triple boot so that’s the issue. Only one is btrfs and the others are ext4.

Yeah, I have like 5 installations… but they are all Btrfs and then Windows boots from ESP so I don’t have to scan another filesystem type other than btrfs. I could try playing around with wiping my playground partition and formatting it ext4 and see what the behavior is like later tonight.

1 Like

Nope!
When rick said that I only needed to add the lts icon for it to be detected I guess I misinterpreted what he said, did that and since it was very late went to sleep.
But no, still nothing, I’ll go mess with the config file now, could you take a look at the comment I posted before? The following:

I did end up adding the following lines:

also_scan_dirs ESP:EFI/boot,ESP:EFI,@/boot,@Arch/boot,@Archcraft/boot,@Fedora/boot,@EndeavourOS/boot,@Garuda/boot,@GarudaWayfire/boot,@Manjaro/boot,@Ubuntu/boot,@Debian/boot

extra_kernel_version_strings linux-hardened,linux-zen,linux-lts,linux

But it didn’t help. I wanted to get refind to work out of stubborness but at this point I’m considering reinstalling grub.

The also scan thing was just an example because of my setup where I have nested subvolumes in the same partition so my vmlinuz files aren’t looked at the root location. You can just use that to specify folders to scan that are outside the default locations it would look for bootloaders.

The order of the locations in this variable determine the order they are searched and will be displayed in refind.

What are the locations of your /boot directories that you want it to find?

This will be used to identify what kernels it should look for to create entries. It also might determine order they appear.

This happens if you don’t add all drivers (per wiki)

Tip: By default refind-install installs only the driver for the file system on which kernel resides. Additional file systems need to be installed manually by copying them from /usr/share/refind/drivers_x64/ to esp/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/, or you can install all drivers with the --alldrivers option. This is useful for bootable USB flash drives.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, the file refind looks for is vmlinuz-linux and the lts variant. Those files are locates directly in my boot folder. As in /boot

I used tree to check the content of the folder and subfolders. The output is pretty long and if those two files I mentioned above are not what I’m looking for, then I wouldn’t know what to look for.
I uploaded the tree output on pastebin though.