Switched to Apollo no boot

Hi , I switched to Apollo 22.1 from Atlantis . I tried to install it live. And everything went fine. Made some software changes saved it to Timeshift. Continued to work on more software installations. Turned off the computer for the night. Trying to boot the next day, I could not load from even the bios. Got all kinds of error messages. I tried to take some pictures of the screens but they were flying by so fast I couldn’t get everything. I’ve reset the bios tried the default settings nothing changes, same results. By the way the motherboard is an Asus Z97-A. Is there anything I can do to help you guys figure out if there is something to be done for me to fix this/

We are going to need some kind of error message to figure out what it wrong.

It’s going to be long but from the first screen here goes: ( keep in mind I am a slow typist and inaccurate)
Probing EDD (edd off to disable …ok
[ 0.144525] x86/cpu : VMX (outside txt) disabled by bios
[ 0.7452711] mce: (hardware error]: CPU2: Machine check : Bank 1: bf800000000000124
[ 0.745273] mce: [Hardware error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1159ca 0.745331] mce: [Hardware error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1159cad00 MISC 86
[ 0.745331] mce: [Hardware error]: PROCESSOR 0:306c3 TIME 1651182363 socket 0
APIC 4 microcode 28
[ 1.081322] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [_SB.PCI0.SATO.S
PTA4._GTF.DSSP], AE_NOT_FOUND (20211217/psparse-330 )
[ 1.018397] APCI Error: Aborting method [_SB.PCI0.SATO.S or (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20211217/psparse-529)
[ 1.019179] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [_SB.PCI0.SATO.S
PTA4._GTF.DSSP], AE_NOT_FOUND (20211217/psparse-330 )
[ 1.019253] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [_SB.PCI0.SATO.S
PTA4._GTF due to previous error ( AE_NOT_FOUND ) (20211217/psparse-529)
[ 2.938318] ata6: COMRESET failed (errno=_32)

Geez, thaat waas painful! There is alot more; should I continue?

There’s a chance you removed your entry doing this. You would need to reinstall grub if you did.

What made you reinstall? Atlantis and Apollo are just release names. If you update your computer, then you actually went from Apollo to Apollo.

“There’s a chance you removed your entry doing this. You would need to reinstall grub if you did.” My entry? Sorry I don’t understand; nor would I know how to get to Grub seeing I can’t get it to boot.

Then again, since this is basically a brand new install, I’d just do that again. You’ll waste more effort trouble shooting that just install.

3 Likes

Ok, so I tried just booting Apollo again from my machine. It sent me to BIOS Setup, but this time it told me the setting for overclocking was wrong. I said to myself, “I didn’t overclock anything”. Went and looked in bios and sure enough, it was set to customize. Set it back to normal; rebooted and so far it is all working correctly. I can upgrade the mirrors, upgrade the system, reboot and add more apps.
So I thank God and you guys also for your help. I certainly appreciate it.
Who would have thunk it? Thanks again and you will probably hear from me with the need for more edification.

There’s only one way that can happen, so unless you bought it used . . . . you would have known about it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.