Sway is not loading after login on my Pinebook Pro

I installed Sway onto my PPPro and the first time it booted after installing was fine. Everything worked as I expected. I followed the initial popup which updated my sources and checked for updates but there were none.

I turned the laptop off and the next time I turned it on, after login sway only shows a blank screen.

I can still access the shell via starting a new tty with `CTRL-ALT-F*".

My display manager is sddm.

If I try to manually run sway, I get the same result. Blank screen.

I can tell other things are loading, like pulseaudio. The PPPro makes a popping sound, which is normal.

Here is my Sway Log

Welcome to :enos:

Sway might have issues on ARM. Can you try other editions to see if they work?

If you can try installing sway again it would be great.

Welcome to the EndeavourOS forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

When you bring up a TTY console, if you log in as user, then simply type ‘sway’ then enter, does sway load up?

Pudge

SDDM commonly causes issues with Sway because it still runs on X11 only. I think there are plans to address this in some way on the next release, but until then I would suggest using something else.

A popular login manager for Sway is greetd, or as Pudge mentioned you can just launch it from the TTY.

You may have a better experience with i3, due to package availability being more modest on ARM than x86. My guess is more Xorg packages have been ported to ARM than Wayland packages.

1 Like

Sway might have issues on ARM. Can you try other editions to see if they work?

Sway works fine on Manjaro so I don’t think it is an issue with Sway itself. Plus Sway does boot the first time for some reason.

When you bring up a TTY console, if you log in as user, then simply type ‘sway’ then enter, does sway load up?

No Sway acts in the same way as it does on boot. Black screen.

A popular login manager for Sway is greetd

I might give that a try, that is the login manager that Manjaro uses and Manjaro with sway boots fine everytime. I have some other personal issues with Manjaro, so I would prefer an alternative like EndeavourOS