Sway Edition - General Conversation!

Little hiccup to report. Did a base eos September iso install. Added sway via tty. On boot the Mouse is frozen. Keyboard has limited functionality. Unplug and replug gets back normal function. Reboot and frozen again. Switch to usb3 ports. Everything functions normally.

Also power menu when reboot is selected it just logs out. Not reboot.

I am going to go looking for why if I can in a little while.

1 Like

Virtualbox or Real Harare? Mouse is probably gonna be a problem with a environment variable. Try commenting out hardware acceleration in .profile. Try commenting out the others and rebooting too…different setups need different environment variables.

The power menu is probably my fault sorry! I’ll solve that.Does the power menu script in waybar look like this

#!/bin/bash

entries="Logout Suspend Reboot Shutdown"

selected=$(printf '%s\n' $entries | wofi --conf=$HOME/.config/wofi/config.power --style=$HOME/.config/wofi/style.widgets.css | awk '{print tolower($1)}')

case $selected in
  logout)
    swaymsg exit;;
  suspend)
    exec systemctl suspend;;
  reboot)
    exec systemctl reboot;;
  shutdown)
    exec systemctl poweroff -i;;
esac
1 Like

if remember right xwayland make problem for mouse +keyboard in virtualbox . i not know if they fix it yet … i saw report months back

1 Like

I’ll look in a bit. This is a metal install.

1 Like

@BONK

help it might your search for fix … sad i no have this problem on pi4 ( hope this help your problem )

old post but hope it help

1 Like

Thank you. Not a huge deal as usb3.0 works fine.

1 Like

@BONK
I’m using sway in v-box and i did comment out hardware acceleration. The mouse seemed to get stuck occasionally on the bar or hesitate. It works fine now.

Edit: Ya stuttering is the right word! :grin:

2 Likes

power.sh looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

if pgrep river; then
  wlogout -p layer-shell
else
  nwgbar -o 0.4
fi

Replacing that text with the script you posted restores normal function :+1:

Why does it like that? The github page does not? Hmm…

1 Like

Not that this is terribly important but I had tried one other thing that can’t be done the way it is. I made a plasma install that was using wayland. I wanted to add sway alongside to be chosen from sddm log in. The idea being if all went well trying to see if sway could replace kwin/wayland. I have done it with i3 before and xfce/i3. The script will complain at the very end about sddm and cannot proceed. Not a big thing. Any lightdm DE will probably work.
I really like this spin it is going to be my daily driver if all goes well.

Wayland Compositors can’t do this yet… Read Information About Sway… I wrote a quick thing a while ago

1 Like

This part won’t.
This part should work:

Other window managers are only available when using X.org. These changes cannot be made for Wayland sessions yet. With Wayland maturing and Wayland extensions being standardized, this feature could be implemented in Wayland[1]

From KDE

1 Like

So sway doesn’t appear on SDDM?

The script can’t complete because it complains sddm is there.

Ohhhhh… thats because in the script it enables enables lightdm but not with the --force variable. You can run each line separately. Imma probably gonna remove or create a seperate script so it won’t conflict

2 Likes

I won’t pester you anymore lol. I need to dig into this I really like it. I have some research to do. Alacrity is the fastest terminal I have ever used :+1: Excellent choice!

3 Likes

I don’t mind being pestered! Makes me feel important! Alacritty is fast if you something with more features(possible the most I’ve ever seen in a terminal) try out wayland native kitty. Its featureful and fast enough

1 Like

@OdiousImp @morten-b

i look for “Nitrogen” sway replacement atm . in searching i found this interesting , your thoughts

https://github.com/Biont/sway-launcher-desktop :blush:

It is what Manjaro uses I think as its app launcher. It is very powerful I guess using fzf.

Oguri will replace Nitrogen. You can use sway built in one too. Swaybg…

Oguri

1 Like