[Suggestion]Partition management is confusing in the installer

If I read the ArchWiki section linked to above correctly, the mountpoint recommendations seem to be “bootloader agnostic”.

So if the path is set by the distro and “obeyed” by Calamares, is there any particular reason why not choose /boot or /efi as mountpoints for ESP as recommended by Arch when choosing Grub?

Choosing /boot with grub has some significant downsides. It breaks the ability to boot off of snapshots and leaves the initrd unencrypted. These two things are the only reason we support grub in the first place so if we were going to do that, it would make more sense to simply drop grub support.

While we could mount the ESP at /efi for grub, I would question if that is really the correct or even the recommended action. /boot/efi is the standard location for grub and what most distros that support grub use.

While I would actually prefer using /efi for both bootloaders, I think it would cause way too much confusion as grub users expect the ESP to be mounted at /boot/efi

They seem to be, but they aren’t. I assume you are referring to this point:

/efi is a replacement[6] for the historical and now discouraged ESP mountpoint /boot/efi.

The problem with that comment, is that the reference for it is specific to systemd-boot and systemd-gpt-generator. Neither of which are terribly relevant to a typical grub setup. Also, how does a single offhand comment on a github issue translate into a global belief that /boot/efi is discouraged?

1 Like

Thanks for taking your time and for such a thorough explanation!

The picture is getting more nuanced and more clear, I appreciate it.

As with any other text, I guess it is the same with ArchWiki as well. A reader (me in this case) needs to practice close and critical reading.

Thanks again!

I was under the impression that the mount point for the ESP was specific to the installed system, i.e. my Arch Linux installed system can mount the ESP to /efi and the Debian installed system on the same hard drive can mount the ESP to /boot/efi and neither installed system will affect the other. The ESP may be /dev/sda1 and it should not matter where each installed system mounts that partition within their own filesystem. I am using grub, btw.

Yes. As an individual, you can mount the ESP wherever you want. You can put it at /my/favorite/monkey if you prefer. Also, as you point out, it can be mounted at different locations for different installs if you multi boot.

My response was more about what most people expect and what other distros commonly do.

They disagree with you: https://github.com/calamares/calamares/issues/2279#issuecomment-1924574953

Why am I not surprised lol. Who exactly is they

Those people! You know… the other people. :wink:

@vfbsilva
If you are doing manual partitioning it’s right there. As an example: KISS

1 Like

There’s almost no way someone who has literally never installed Linux prior would have any idea why or that they want to put /home in a different drive. I’ll take whatever the Vegas odds are against that. There can’t be more than a few folks ever that fit that description.

calamares developers, upstream

You havent read my point you are in a unique disk, I use multiple/

You can select the other discs from the drop down menu in manual partitioning and at the end you see the layout as i show in this example. Yes i did read your point.

1 Like

This is in Summary after users creation thisi s the original point of my thread, I was unsure about my config until I saw it and I couldn’t now “Summary” would have such screen but I’ve noticed it is too much to ask for that. So as upstream said it is a customization from Endeavour and Endeavour says it is up to calamares we can’t close the issue as Won´t solve and move on.

Still the sheer number of reply’s to the thread shows there is something to be looked upon on this situation.

EndeavourOS does not say that :wink: user said that you may should report that upstream, may also not fully got what exactly was what you where asking for.
It is sometimes that people do not see things the same way … reason can be also that you are used to something or that you simply see it from the other side of the desk… Developers view is different from users view …

From Developers and experience it looks totally normal how it is, at least talking about the manual partition screen that’s similar to common Linux partition tools. Where in the schedule of the config screens the partitioning is set can be changed it looks logical to me in a way to put it directly before the summary from what you are reporting.
But the installer Interface have the buttons to went back without loosing the settings you done. So technically i do see no issue here.

1 Like

Please don’t! A separate /home made sense (perhaps) in earlier days, but it’s entirely unnecessary now. Much better to add an available script for setting up a separate data partition, with links to all the standard data directories (Downloads, Music, Pictures etc).

Perhaps we need an ‘exposition’ as a readme on the ISO about possible setups and how to achieve them? Should I create one (and scripts) for consideration? :grin:

1 Like

Not sure if a script can solve this because there are so many scenarios it should take into account. If there’s even a small chance of messing up with partitioning… at least I wouldn’t really want to write such a script for general use.
Or maybe I’m missing/misinterpreting something?

But certainly a small document (with examples) might be of help to users.

I’d be intrigued. Right now I am using /home on a different SSD but I’d love to learn how to implement what you suggested for my next installation.

Are you sure about this? When I select

and go the next step:

everything is empty and nothing is prefilled.

That’s the only thing that always bothered me with the EndeavourOS installer.
I would love for something to be prefilled when selecting “Manual partitioning”.

I just tested it again. “Manual partitioning” only shows what already exists on the selected drive.

1 Like