Stuck in fallback

Original problem: hovering over pop up side panels caused the KDE desktop environment to stop responding.

what i did: went into login (sddm) > behavior and found it was set to gnome xorg (it is suppose to plasma x11),

(i have a full journal log too)

when i tried setting it to plasma i got this error:
DBus Backend error: could not contact the helper. Connection error: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken… Message error:

so i ran sudo pacman -Rs gnome (why is there gnome in KDE??) and found out it had dependencies (
checking dependencies…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing gnome-settings-daemon breaks dependency ‘gnome-settings-daemon’ required by mutter) (when did i get mutter in kde???)
anyways i ended up uninstalling both gnome and mutter and everything related to that and uninstalled plasma too then reinstalled it then rebooted only to be in the fallback terminal (using yay)

please do feel free to ask for more information.

If no one else has had root access to your system, so that leaves only the possibility that you must have installed it yourself at some point.

2 Likes

yep i figured out the problem just a few mins ago, basically i had gdm enabled in the display manager, but it is too late now cuz i already installed another partition of endeavouros, thanks for the help tho :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.