Steps to change from Nvidia to AMD GPU

Hi there,

I’d be grateful if someone could check my plan for this update

I’ve got an RX6000 arriving tomorrow.

I’ve done some research and plan to:

uninstall nvidia-dkms and nvidia settings

remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf (this was created by Nvidia settings I believe)
remove /etc/x11/xorg.d/20-nvidia.conf

Install xf86-video-amdgpu
Install lib32-mesa vulkan-radeon lib32-vulkan-radeon vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader (some of these are already installed)

Shut down, swap cards and keep fingers crossed

is there anything I’ve missed or that’s just plain wrong??

Thank you

1 Like

I think that’s what i would do. What is in xorg file? I didn’t think this was created by Nvidia or should have been removed by it?

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | eos-sendlog

Thanks,

xorg.conf mentions nvidia and not much else, so guessed it best to remove

https://clbin.com/7Hret

This was most likely created by Nvidia settings so yes.

Thanks,

hopefully I wont have to bother you all tomorrow with a blank screen issue :grin:

I’ll let you know how it goes either way

Thanks again

1 Like

What card did you actually get?

Its a PowerColor RX 6600 Fighter

Vaguely affordable and has a 0db fan mode.

I’m not big into gaming, but needed 2 Displayport ports and using wayland would be good too

What does that mean?

fan turns completely off (i.e silent) below a certain temperature.

Oh okay. I have an RX 590 Gigabyte and it has a fan stop mode. It lights up when the fans stop. They don’t stay off long though. It is intermittent. My other Nvidia GTX 1060 i have never seen the fans even run? I almost wonder if it doesn’t get hot enough? They aren’t supposed to come on until it reaches a certain temp. :man_shrugging:

Edit: Not a gamer either.

Project temporarily aborted.

8-pin GPU PSU connector not compatible - need adapter :frowning:

What does the power supply leads give you?

Edit: Is it only a 4 pin and you need 8

Its an old (but good) seasonic PSU. It has, what I thought, was an 8-pin GPU connector, but the ‘shapes’ of the individual connectors don’t match. I don’t think it wise to force it in!!

You would think it would be universal. There is an 8 pin CPU plug for power that goes into the board and their are 8 pin GPU power that are for graphics. They are definitely different.

Yes, I checked the 8-pin CPU plug. That is a different layout again (and wouldn’t fit the GPU)

Thanks

Well if you have a couple options 12 volt molex to 8 pin Gpu. Or Sata to 8 pin Gpu if it has those plugs.

Thanks,

Yes I’ve ordered the 12 volt molex to 8 pin Gpu cable

should be here in a couple of days.

At least I got the nvidia back up and running without any grief :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I swapped from NVIDIA to AMD 2 years ago and what I did was install mesa and xf86-video-amdgpu and uninstall all NVIDIA related packages. Then I swapped the cards. It’s very easy and works out of the box.

Since it is a recent card, make sure you have the latest kernel. I have seen someone unable to get his 6700 XT working at launch because their kernel were not up to date.

2 Likes

Thanks,

but don’t worry - I’m an update-a-holic :slight_smile:

just be careful with some of these connectors. They like to make them shotty at best sometimes which can become a fire hazard fairly quickly. There is also the issue of if the molex/sata on the PSU are really up to the task or not