SteamVR on KDE provides error 109

Hey everyone. Long time Linux user and been running Manjaro as my primary OS for work for years. I just got a new laptop and decided to make it closer to Arch by installing EndeavourOS. So far it looks great and feels great but I have not been able to get SteamVR running. Every time I run it, a few seconds into starting up I am provided error 109 and that the headset is not communicating with the laptop. When I look at KDE display manager, it is not detecting the headset no matter what I do. I tried to disable direct output in SteamVR developers menu and that isn’t working. Others on reddit and other forums say that if doing that step and it doesn’t work then there is a hardware issue on the headset or the cable is bad. However, the headset works perfectly on my old laptop running windows. I think it is a driver issue and I am not sure how to proceed.

When installing Steam, a prompt asked which driver to use and I used the default recommended for amdvlk - so not sure if I made a mistake here. Also, I have enabled proton support for my entire library but I am not seeing anything around that for error 109.

Maybe this might make a difference: I have the framework 16 with the dedicated 7700s card. When looking down at it, I am using the left frontmost expansion slot for USB, the left middle slot for display port, and a Valve Index. According to the specs the middle slot supports DP out and the front slot supports USB speeds of 3.2 which should be fine for this. I have also tried using a DP to TB3 cable (what I have to use on my Windows laptop as it doesn’t have a DP out) in the furthest back left side slot which should support everything.

Steam VR shows communications with the headset just not as a display. I have also tried both X11 and Wayland, and get the same error on both.

Any help would be great and hopefully someone knows a quick fix for this.

1 Like