Startup fails after fresh install disk not exists

Hello community!

After several days of trying fixing it myself I finally made it to join this forum, hoping somebody can help me out.

I use a Dell XP15 9560 (2018) with Nvidia GTX 1050Ti and the standard 512GB nvme drive.

I ran EndeavourOS for almost a year (coming from Manjaro) without any problem but the latest update crashed my system boot.
Since the first crash I am struggling bringing it back to life - even fresh EndeavourOS installation or Manjaro did not solve the problem.
I run the standard installation, without any post-install actions in the live image before reboot.

Both Arch based distros run into disk failures right after finishing the virtual console job /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxx-xxx-xxx does not exist and ends in the Dracut Emergency Shell.
The problem persits with and without encrypted partitions / Windows partition / grub or systemd!
Live-Iso Image confirmed that the given uuid exists and is correct via gnome-disk-utility.

Only Ubuntu is able to boot my system, what let me doubt it is related to a hard disk failure. Dell HW Check also confirms healthy HW.

Does anybody has an idea or knows how to get rid or analyse it any deeper?

Starting HDD Configuration (after fresh Win10 installation):

After re-sizing HDD for Linux:

After that, I run the Online Setup: Gnome, Grub, manual partition setup:

• Added boot flag for nvme0n1p5

Looks good to me, so I click install and wait.

Thanks,
br Daniel

We would really need to see the exact error in full context. Can you take a picture of it?

After that, boot the live ISO and run lsblk -o name,type,fstype,size,uuid and post the output here as text along with the picture.

Hello @dalto ,
I am going to rebuild a new usb stick with the latest release. Install it on my laptop step-by-step from the common installation setup and reboot directly after - correct?
Then I boot into the live ISO again and run your command - correct?

Do I need to boot the default iso or the nvidia iso before installation? I doubt I need to start nvidia as it says “new nvidia cards only” and my laptop is from 2018, am I right?

Thanks, br Daniel

Yes.

Yes.

There is only one ISO. The option you choose doesn’t make a huge difference given your specific issue.

However, I would try using the nvidia option. “New” just means supported by the latest drivers which a laptop from 2018 probably still is supported.

Dear @dalto,
You may review my first comment again as I updated it to present all my doings.

I now ran again into the uuid-not found issue, have no further ideas from here …

From Live ISO after first startup failed.

I really appreciate your help here
Br Daniel

To be clear we need a picture of the screen with the error and a text copy/paste of the lsblk output.

1 Like

Check in your BIOS settings that the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode–not RAID, or anything else.

1 Like

@dalto , sorry though a picture is enough - my fault.

[liveuser@eos-2023.08.05 ~]$ lsblk -o name,type,fstype,size,uuid
NAME        TYPE FSTYPE     SIZE UUID
loop0       loop squashfs   1.7G 
sda         disk iso9660  233.1G 2023-08-05-13-57-43-00
├─sda1      part vfat       113M 6121-B369
└─sda2      part          231.2G 
nvme0n1     disk          476.9G 
├─nvme0n1p1 part ntfs       499M B29851349850F7F5
├─nvme0n1p2 part vfat       100M 4051-A335
├─nvme0n1p3 part             16M 
├─nvme0n1p4 part ntfs      83.7G 4C0E58FC0E58E10E
├─nvme0n1p5 part vfat      1000M 12C5-CA50
└─nvme0n1p6 part ext4     391.7G bf7bb9d4-cfb5-48af-ab71-c2ac35ce6e3f
[liveuser@eos-2023.08.05 ~]$

Did not change for 15 minutes, then I turned off.

I checked the bios settings before - and never changed them for years btw but here we go - thx.

Did you change it to that or is that what it already was?

Hello @dalto,
My bios setting was changed back in 2018 when I started using this laptop with Linux and Windows in parallel. Since that, I never touched it again and no, it was already at AHCI.
I doubt this issue is related to the bios settings. I believe it is more likely some kernel module issue - something that has been changed in the latest software updates.

First I tought that my NVME controller is broken but Windows runs normally so as Ubuntu and SMART check did not come up with a single problem, same for Dell’s hardware check.

Does anybody know if I can access the journal logs from the live iso, something like manjaro-chroot -a? Maybe this logfile and others from the main OS helps to determine the root cause.

Thanks, br Daniel

You can use arch-chroot, this instructions for that are here:
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/system-rescue/arch-chroot/2022/12/

Dear @dalto
Thanks for the instruction, know it is confirmed that there is no logfile. I did the same before but tought I did it wrong as no jounral log was found.
I do not know how to continue at this point with EndeavourOS … I try installing not GNOME desktop for one more time before quiting EOS.
Thanks for your help.

I used the OFFLINE installation with default Desktop Environmnet and the startup worked as normal.

After an UPDATE , the startup is broken again and ends at the exact same boot line message as before! I think, this confirms that the current software stand crashes my system!

Any idea?

Br Daniel

It sounds possible you are up against a kernel bug, since both Ubuntu and the EOS live environment will be using an older version of the kernel than a fully up-to-date EOS system.

Try installing the LTS kernel after the installation when you bring your system up to date.

sudo pacman -Syu linux-lts linux-lts-headers

Reboot to the LTS kernel and see if you have better luck with that. :crossed_fingers:

The journalctl output after first startup without crash after OFFLINE installation.

[xxx@yyy ~]$ journalctl -b -p 3
Sep 05 20:15:07 yyy kernel: x86/cpu: SGX disabled by BIOS.
Sep 05 20:15:22 yyy kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: AER:   Error of this Agent is reported first
Sep 05 20:15:23 yyy kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: AER:   Error of this Agent is reported first
Sep 05 20:15:23 yyy kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: AER:   Error of this Agent is reported first
Sep 05 20:15:26 yyy kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: AER:   Error of this Agent is reported first
Sep 05 20:15:31 yyy kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: AER:   Error of this Agent is reported first
Sep 05 20:16:04 yyy kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: AER:   Error of this Agent is reported first
[xxx@yyy ~]$ 

Next, mentioned update suggestion from @BluishHumility with LTS kernel…

One thing that I noticed in the update protocol are all those dracut releated messages about missing dracut modules - are these messages normal?

(180/181) Installiert wird gtk-layer-shell                            [--------------------------------------] 100%
(181/181) Aktualisiert wird xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin                  [--------------------------------------] 100%
:: Post-transaction-Hooks werden gestartet …
( 1/23) Creating system user accounts...
( 2/23) Updating journal message catalog...
( 3/23) Reloading system manager configuration...
( 4/23) Updating udev hardware database...
( 5/23) Applying kernel sysctl settings...
( 6/23) Creating temporary files...
( 7/23) Reloading device manager configuration...
( 8/23) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
( 9/23) Updating the MIME type database...
(10/23) Updating module dependencies...
(11/23) Updating initramfs...
:: Building initramfs for linux-lts (6.1.51-1-lts)
dracut: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut --force --hostonly --no-hostonly-cmdline /usr/lib/modules/6.1.51-1-lts/initrd 6.1.51-1-lts
dracut: dracut module 'dash' will not be installed, because command 'dash' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'mksh' will not be installed, because command 'mksh' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'busybox' will not be installed, because command 'busybox' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'dbus-broker' will not be installed, because command 'dbus-broker' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'rngd' will not be installed, because command 'rngd' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'connman' will not be installed, because command 'connmand' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'connman' will not be installed, because command 'connmanctl' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'connman' will not be installed, because command 'connmand-wait-online' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'network-wicked' will not be installed, because command 'wicked' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'dmraid' will not be installed, because command 'kpartx' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'tpm2-tss' will not be installed, because command 'tpm2' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'iscsi' will not be installed, because command 'iscsi-iname' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'iscsi' will not be installed, because command 'iscsiadm' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'iscsi' will not be installed, because command 'iscsid' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'nvmf' will not be installed, because command 'nvme' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'biosdevname' will not be installed, because command 'biosdevname' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'memstrack' will not be installed, because command 'memstrack' could not be found!
dracut: memstrack is not available
dracut: If you need to use rd.memdebug>=4, please install memstrack and procps-ng
dracut: dracut module 'squash' will not be installed, because command 'mksquashfs' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'squash' will not be installed, because command 'unsquashfs' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'dash' will not be installed, because command 'dash' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'mksh' will not be installed, because command 'mksh' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'busybox' will not be installed, because command 'busybox' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'dbus-broker' will not be installed, because command 'dbus-broker' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'rngd' will not be installed, because command 'rngd' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'connman' will not be installed, because command 'connmand' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'connman' will not be installed, because command 'connmanctl' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'connman' will not be installed, because command 'connmand-wait-online' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'network-wicked' will not be installed, because command 'wicked' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'dmraid' will not be installed, because command 'kpartx' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'tpm2-tss' will not be installed, because command 'tpm2' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'iscsi' will not be installed, because command 'iscsi-iname' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'iscsi' will not be installed, because command 'iscsiadm' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'iscsi' will not be installed, because command 'iscsid' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'nvmf' will not be installed, because command 'nvme' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'memstrack' will not be installed, because command 'memstrack' could not be found!
dracut: If you need to use rd.memdebug>=4, please install memstrack and procps-ng
dracut: dracut module 'squash' will not be installed, because command 'mksquashfs' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'squash' will not be installed, because command 'unsquashfs' could not be found!
dracut: *** Including module: systemd ***
dracut: *** Including module: systemd-initrd ***
dracut: *** Including module: i18n ***
dracut: *** Including module: kernel-modules ***
dracut: *** Including module: kernel-modules-extra ***
dracut: *** Including module: rootfs-block ***
dracut: *** Including module: terminfo ***
dracut: *** Including module: udev-rules ***
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 40-redhat.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 50-firmware.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 50-udev.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 91-permissions.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 80-drivers-modprobe.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 70-persistent-net.rules
dracut: *** Including module: dracut-systemd ***
dracut: *** Including module: usrmount ***
dracut: *** Including module: base ***
dracut: *** Including module: fs-lib ***
dracut: *** Including module: shutdown ***
dracut: *** Including modules done ***
dracut: *** Installing kernel module dependencies ***
dracut: *** Installing kernel module dependencies done ***
dracut: *** Resolving executable dependencies ***
dracut: *** Resolving executable dependencies done ***
dracut: *** Hardlinking files ***
dracut: Mode:                     real
dracut: Method:                   memcmp
dracut: Files:                    765
dracut: Linked:                   2 files
dracut: Compared:                 0 xattrs
dracut: Compared:                 35 files
dracut: Saved:                    356.65 KiB
dracut: Duration:                 0.006314 seconds
dracut: *** Hardlinking files done ***
dracut: *** Generating early-microcode cpio image ***
dracut: *** Using microcode found in '/boot/intel-ucode.img' ***
dracut: *** Store current command line parameters ***
dracut: *** Stripping files ***
dracut: *** Stripping files done ***
dracut: *** Creating image file '/usr/lib/modules/6.1.51-1-lts/initrd' ***
dracut: *** Creating initramfs image file '/usr/lib/modules/6.1.51-1-lts/initrd' done ***
:: Building fallback initramfs for linux-lts (6.1.51-1-lts)
dracut: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut --force --no-hostonly /boot/initramfs-linux-lts-fallback.img 6.1.51-1-lts
dracut: dracut module 'multipath' will not be installed, because command 'multipath' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'dcbtool' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'fipvlan' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'lldpad' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'fcoemon' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'fcoeadm' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe-uefi' will not be installed, because command 'dcbtool' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe-uefi' will not be installed, because command 'fipvlan' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe-uefi' will not be installed, because command 'lldpad' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'nbd' depends on 'network', which can't be installed
dracut: dracut module 'biosdevname' will not be installed, because command 'biosdevname' could not be found!
dracut: *** Including module: modsign ***
dracut: *** Including module: btrfs ***
dracut: *** Including module: crypt ***
dracut: *** Including module: dm ***
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 64-device-mapper.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 60-persistent-storage-dm.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 55-dm.rules
dracut: *** Including module: lvm ***
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 56-lvm.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 60-persistent-storage-lvm.rules
dracut: *** Including module: mdraid ***
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 64-md-raid.rules
dracut: *** Including module: nvdimm ***
dracut: *** Including module: qemu ***
dracut: *** Including module: qemu-net ***
dracut: *** Including module: btrfs-snapshot-overlay ***
dracut: *** Including module: lunmask ***
dracut: *** Including module: resume ***
dracut: *** Including module: virtiofs ***
dracut: Files:                    1981
dracut: Linked:                   8 files
dracut: Compared:                 451 files
dracut: Saved:                    1.42 MiB
dracut: Duration:                 0.045248 seconds
dracut: *** Constructing AuthenticAMD.bin ***
dracut: *** Creating image file '/boot/initramfs-linux-lts-fallback.img' ***
dracut: *** Creating initramfs image file '/boot/initramfs-linux-lts-fallback.img' done ***
:: Building initramfs for linux (6.4.12-arch1-1)
dracut: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut --force --hostonly --no-hostonly-cmdline /usr/lib/modules/6.4.12-arch1-1/initrd 6.4.12-arch1-1
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 70-persistent-net.rules
dracut: Files:                    777
dracut: Linked:                   2 files
dracut: Compared:                 35 files
dracut: Saved:                    356.65 KiB
dracut: Duration:                 0.006880 seconds
dracut: *** Creating image file '/usr/lib/modules/6.4.12-arch1-1/initrd' ***
dracut: *** Creating initramfs image file '/usr/lib/modules/6.4.12-arch1-1/initrd' done ***
:: Building fallback initramfs for linux (6.4.12-arch1-1)
dracut: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut --force --no-hostonly /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img 6.4.12-arch1-1
dracut: dracut module 'multipath' will not be installed, because command 'multipath' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'dcbtool' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'fipvlan' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'lldpad' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'fcoemon' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'fcoeadm' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe-uefi' will not be installed, because command 'dcbtool' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe-uefi' will not be installed, because command 'fipvlan' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'fcoe-uefi' will not be installed, because command 'lldpad' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'nbd' depends on 'network', which can't be installed
dracut: *** Including module: modsign ***
dracut: *** Including module: btrfs ***
dracut: *** Including module: crypt ***
dracut: *** Including module: dm ***
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 60-persistent-storage-dm.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 55-dm.rules
dracut: *** Including module: lvm ***
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 56-lvm.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 60-persistent-storage-lvm.rules
dracut: *** Including module: mdraid ***
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 64-md-raid.rules
dracut: *** Including module: nvdimm ***
dracut: *** Including module: qemu ***
dracut: *** Including module: qemu-net ***
dracut: *** Including module: btrfs-snapshot-overlay ***
dracut: *** Including module: lunmask ***
dracut: *** Including module: resume ***
dracut: *** Including module: virtiofs ***
dracut: Files:                    1996
dracut: Linked:                   8 files
dracut: Compared:                 449 files
dracut: Saved:                    1.42 MiB
dracut: Duration:                 0.018931 seconds
dracut: *** Constructing AuthenticAMD.bin ***
dracut: *** Creating image file '/boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img' ***
dracut: *** Creating initramfs image file '/boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img' done ***
(12/23) Reloading system bus configuration...
(13/23) Warn about old perl modules
(14/23) Check if user should be informed about rebooting after certain system package upgrades.
(15/23) Updating fontconfig cache...
(16/23) Probing GDK-Pixbuf loader modules...
(17/23) Updating GIO module cache...
(18/23) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
(19/23) Updating icon theme caches...
(20/23) Reloading GVFS config...
(21/23) Checking which packages need to be rebuilt
(22/23) Updating the info directory file...
(23/23) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
[daniel@dachstein ~]$ 

Yes. Those are just telling you that things aren’t being installed into the dracut image because you don’t have them on your system.

1 Like

Dear @BluishHumility ,
the LTS kernel did not made it out of the startup process. It hung at the exact same line during boot.
Br Daniel

Any idea how to partly update the system, like in groups sorted by type or similiar?

I managed to get these message out of the failing boot process, someone knows if there is any critical?

Furthermore, later it shows some rdsosreport.txt (/run/initramfs) with this context:

Br Daniel

I finally made it possible to update the offline installation and normally boot. The downside is, I added linux kernel packages to the pacman.conf ignore section like:
IgnorePkg = linux-lts linux-lts-headers linux linux-headers linux-firmware-whence linux-firmware.

This also means, I run with kernel version Linux dachstein 6.4.8-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu, 03 Aug 2023 16:02:01 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux.

Further investigations has brought me to this site (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2232838), where many others with the same and other Dell laptops are facing the same startup issue currenlty.

To bring 6.x.x kernels to boot into DE, add these modules to the boot commands:

• pcie_asp=off
  • nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0

To boot even without these kernel commands, I created /etc/modprobe.d/rts-blacklist.conf and insert these text lines:

• blacklist rtsx_pci
  • blacklist rtsx_sdmmc

With both lines blacklisted, the other mentioned recommendations (ignore kernel packages; add boot commands) are not required!

Thanks to anybody who spend his time the last days figuring out what causes my boot issue!