Stable release won't boot unless usb stick is in

That’s it rebooted fine. I wonder why the nouveau driver was not loaded during install?

1 Like

It never is, that’s an Archlinux thing. If you encounter lag in videos, especially with DRM encoded content, the nouveau-fw package will solve that.

1 Like

nouveau-fw
Description: This package provides video & pgraph firmwares for all NVIDIA chipsets that need them…

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration#NVIDIA

1 Like

Thanks joekamprad - that might do me. This hp-elitebook8440p had a problem with suspend and hibernate with nouveau and not with nvidia. The AUR nvidia-340 worked fine but it was a bit of chore getting it going and keeping it going with updates. I have installled nouveau-fw and looks good.

I must say that the initial problem with no graphics unless the usb stick is inserted is a problem. I can understand the idea about user choice etc but for newbies it is a problem. I dont understand why the usb stick has to be in (and it does not have to be the install disk).
On a side issue - I also find that the warning about removing the usb stick after installing ubuntu mate very useful.

this is surely kind of a BUG, we do not know why it happens, must be something related special on your hardware.
removing the installer stick is usually not needed, it may will boot again to the stick menu but you can choose to boot installed system from there also…

1 Like