Spotify/i3

Fairly new linux user here. I work in a non-tech field, but have enjoyed tinkering with arch/endeavour as a hobby.

I’m trying to setup i3 myself in a VM. I installed endeavouros without a DE, then installed i3, rofi, firefox and spotify.

Upon startup, the first time I launch spotify, it opens fine. But if I close it, and the reopen, I get this error:

/opt/spotify/spotify: /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4: no version information available (required by /opt/spotify/spotify)
/opt/spotify/spotify: /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4: no version information available (required by /opt/spotify/spotify)
/proc/self/exe: /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4: no version information available (required by /proc/self/exe)
[1010/121631.913266:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private.cc(431)] GPU process isn’t usable. Goodbye.
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Googling suggested that I needed to install a notification daemon, which I’ve done. notify-send works fine.

Any suggestions?

hey welcome on the purple ride :enos:
first of all how do you start i3 ? with a DM ?
Second notify-send is not a daemon:

With notify-send you can send desktop notifications to the user via a notification daemon from the command line. These notifications can be used to inform the user about an event or display some form of information without getting in the user’s way.

A daemon would be something like dunst https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/dunst/

spotify --disable-gpu could work …

all the warnings are normal aside from the gpu one…

Thank you for the reply!

I am using lightdm to start i3. I have dunst installed (although perhaps not properly setup?) To test that notifications are, in fact working, I have used notify-send.

I tried starting Spotify with the gpu-disabled. No luck.

[1010/161942.266075:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private.cc(431)] GPU process isn’t usable. Goodbye.

For what it is worth, starting Spotify with --no-zygote seems to consistently work. Of course, I don’t know what that option does. :wink:

zygote… thats a Fertilized egg … or something usually used on Android… like “process is already running” ?

Seems something related to a graphics issue unsolved upstream at spotify … but no real clue…
you can add this to the Desktop file (create a dropin)

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Spotify
GenericName=Music Player
Icon=spotify-client
TryExec=spotify
Exec=spotify --uri=%U --no-zygote
Terminal=false
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/spotify;
Categories=Audio;Music;Player;AudioVideo;
StartupWMClass=spotify

save under ~/.local/share/applicateions/spotify.desktop

@dbl_hoo
What spotify do you have installed? I have used spotify from the AUR on almost all desktops without issue.

This one:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/spotify

1 Like