Sound disappears after editing i3 config

Got it figured out. I edited the config file as before. What happened is somehow the edit messed with the PulseAudio sound settings. I played with the settings and sound came back. It didn’t occur to me that just editing the i3 config file would change the audio settings. I’m still puzzled by that. At any rate if someone has this happen in the future we know what to do. Thanks for all the responses I got. You all did your best. Who would have known that just editibg the config file would change audio settings! Now I can edit to my heart’s content.

Really? :man_facepalming:

1 Like

From the EndeavourOS website, the About Us page, 4th paragraph:

To avoid the project becoming unmanageable, we decided in the early stage of development to provide a basic system that is close to Arch Linux. That’s why we are aiming for a Linux user with an intermediate level of knowledge…

4 Likes

Thanks for posting that!

Funny that I just came across the same passage!

Now we know that EnOS has a target user category in mind after all. I think this passage should be made explicit in the main page.

1 Like

I agree. If I recall correctly, it used to be on the main page until fairly recently.

2 Likes

yes not easy to set this on a place where everyone is aware of :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Alright.
It is not that I visit those pages regularly :sweat_smile:
Now that I did a bit of a digging, I came across it as well.

2 Likes

I am not sure how to interpret this but well you guys are in charge and should know :wink:

I am happy that I will not get triggered anymore if someone mentions that EnOS targets intermediate usres. Kind of a relief :relieved:

You shouldn’t let that happen from anything you read on here to be honest. It is just a friendly, to best we can keep it family friendly, tech forum about an arch linux distro.

5 Likes

I know my way around the terminal. I took a Unix class 25 years ago and I’ve been using Linux for the past ten years. My problem wasn’t with using the terminal it was with not suspecting that just by editing the config file would PulseAudio sound settings change. I don’t think that would have occurred to most people. The edits I made had nothing to do with audio by the way. I’ll be using EndeavourOS for a while now just to see why people like Arch so much. I’m happy with the way the install went. Nice that an option is provided to download Libre Office.

2 Likes

I don’t think that the point was to exclude anyone, everyone is welcome to my understanding.

But still it is important to set the right expectations for new users, arch can break more easily than Ubuntu since many things happen in the terminal. Ubuntu is gui centered and fool proof. EOS is not meant to be like that, it’s really different.

Therefore it is good to know what commands one uses, just using commands without understanding them can lead to system breakage as you all know. Some users simply don’t want to learn that or have any time to do so. This is by no means specific to the OP here, I am just saying in general.

I am not saying that arch is less stable than Ubuntu or Deb based, but expectations and system handling need to be adequate to have a good experience.

Sorry, off topic :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If someone happens upon this thread in the future . . . this post doesn’t actually solve anything, even though it’s marked as the solution. We still have no idea what config you changed, and if it’s the normal /.i3/config/i3 file. . . it’s REALLY REALLY hard to believe it would have had any effect on your audio settings. Which, we can’t confirm at all since the file and edits have still yet to be provided.

More than likely it didn’t. I would bet dollars to donuts it didn’t. We’ll likely never know what caused this issue. . . if there ever was one.

There we go! A little louder for the folks in the back on their cell phones please.

3 Likes

IMHO most users of i3 here already know what to do. The configs are perfect out of the box. If you go and start changing things and your sound disappears well then you have to think it must be something you did. If you ask for help we need information. Logs, command outputs etc. Otherwise it’s difficult to pinpoint the problem. If you make a mistake and it causes a problem then you own it. Nothing more to it than that. If it happens to be caused by another issue hopefully we’ll figure that out. All hardware is not the same and what works on most doesn’t necessarily work on all! Sometimes hardware settings have to be changed. Changing config files can impact other things sometimes.

that`s the main valid point on this thread :nerd_face:

– closing –

4 Likes