Sorry, no supported Nvidia driver found for your graphics card (id 8a52)!

You have the current Nvidia 495.46 drivers installed but it is running on Intel currently. We just need to have a way to switch between Intel and Nvidia. optimus-manager does provide that if set up properly. On Gnome you have to do it differently than you would on KDE. I’m not a big Gnome user as i use KDE mostly. The instructions for Gnome are in the wiki Askannz/optimus. There are some newer laptops that do automatic switching but that’s not case for all of them. I agree with @Zircon34

Edit: What i would do is plug in an external monitor first and see if it works like @Zircon34 has said switching to Nvidia on the external source. Then go from there if there is another option you want to try?

1 Like

aummm ok Thank you.
I again removed gdm and installed

yay -S gdm-prime optimus-manager optimus-manager-qt

and uncomment that wayland false. I hope it works for 495 version :slight_smile:

But can i ask you why you

I liked KDE but i feel its too bloated with that configuration settings, like whenever i right click i found tonnes of editing options… although i’m fine with configuring, but most of time i feel so so laggy , like everything moving moves slow on KDE but not on gnome and it feels minimum although its bloated :neutral_face: but feels less than kde.

I’m rebooting i hope it works :slight_smile:

KDE is not laggy. It is so fast and responsive. I do not get into customizing or configuring a whole bunch of things. I change backgrounds and some settings only to give me performance, responsiveness, fluid action and visual appeal. I just don’t have any love for Gnome mostly due to the fact it reminds me of Ubuntu! I don’t like Canonical and Ubuntu is Gnome. I just can’t get there. I also don’t like the way Gnome works at all.

Edit: It’s not that i hate it. I can use it. But it’s not my 1st choice. I like Cinnamon, Xfce, KDE, Budgie, Mate, I3, BPWM mostly.

1 Like

Shouldn’t it be sufficient to install just either optimus-manager or optimus-manager-qt (for system tray included). I never install both.

I just installed cinnamon on my hybrid laptop, which is a nice middle ground between gnome and kde but still based on gtk (which I think looks better, DE wars :partying_face:).

If it boots to black screen, no worries, you can be helped.

:frowning: i rebooted and it didnt worked.

I cant open nvidia xserver settings from menu and optimus-manager-qt running gives nothing.

I think i’vent switchted to hybrid. i’ll and update

The instructions are quite clear. KDE needs something different.

Edit: This is what i see for Gnome.

Introduction

GPU offloading and power management with Nvidia cards are not properly supported on Linux (though there has been some great progress recently), which can make it hard to use your Optimus laptop at full performance. optimus-manager provides a workaround to this problem by allowing you to run your whole desktop session on the Nvidia GPU, while the Intel/AMD GPU only acts as a “relay” between the Nvidia GPU and your screen.

This is essentially a port to Archlinux of the nvidia-prime solution created by Canonical for Ubuntu.

To learn more about the current Optimus situation on Linux and how this solution works, read the Home Wiki page.

IMPORTANT : Gnome and GDM users

If you use Gnome or the Gnome Display Manager (GDM), there are a couple extra requirements to be able to use optimus-manager :

• The default gdm package from the Archlinux and Manjaro repositories is not compatible with optimus-manager, so you must replace it with this patched version : gdm-prime (also replaces libgdm). The patch was written by Canonical for Ubuntu and simply adds two script entry points specifically for Prime switching. The package is otherwise identical to the official one.
  • Gnome launches Wayland sessions by default, which are incompatible with optimus-manager. To force Xorg sessions, You need to edit the file /etc/gdm/custom.conf and remove the # before the line #WaylandEnable=false.

Another quirk of GDM is that the X server may not automatically restart after a GPU switch. If you see an empty black screen or a black screen with a blinking cursor, try switching back to an empty TTY (with Ctrl+Alt+F5 for instance), then back to TTY1 with Ctrl+Alt+F1. See this FAQ question.

1 Like

I am confused… What did you do before rebooting? please do not install/deinstall things at this point. Explain better what you did and what happened. Also, first try login into xorg, you can deal with Wayland later…

Hello after i switched to hybrid
on
optimus-manager --switch it shows

$ optimus-manager --status
Optimus Manager (Client) version 1.4

Current GPU mode : hybrid
GPU mode requested for next login : no change
GPU at startup : integrated
Temporary config path: no

I see i can open nvidia xserver settings although cant open optimus-manager-qt

Is my nvidia working now?

Does cinnamon use gdm too? Just asking for myself, I just setup my hybrid laptop with cinnamon and still need to try Optimus…

I don’t think so but I’m not positive. :wink:

Edit: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/cinnamon

Try

optimus-manager --switch nvidia

Which will log out and in again, the open Nvidia settings. If you see the Nvidia card then bingo!

1 Like

@nothingnew

Did you check and enable optimus manager when you installed it?

systemctl status optimus-manager

sudo systemctl enable --now optimus-manager

yes ofcourse, i dont liked systemd but i enabled from that.

1 Like

Just checking. :wink:

After i logged out i got

$ optimus-manager --status
Optimus Manager (Client) version 1.4

Current GPU mode : nvidia
GPU mode requested for next login : no change
GPU at startup : integrated
Temporary config path: no

I can see more options on nvidia-xserver-settings compared to when i was in hybrid.

You checked this on the install.

Important notes :

• Custom Xorg config : optimus-manager works by auto-generating a Xorg configuration file and putting it into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. If you already have custom Xorg configuration files at that location or at /etc/X11/xorg.conf , it is strongly advised that you remove anything GPU-related from them to make sure that they do not interfere with the GPU switching process.
  • Nvidia-generated Xorg config : Similarly, if you have ever used the nvidia-xonfig utility or the Save to X Configuration File button in the Nvidia control panel, a Xorg config file may have been generated at /etc/X11/xorg.conf . It is highly recommended to delete it before trying to switch GPUs.

But it says :thinking:current GPU mode nvidia. Can you make a screenshot of nvidia-settings? If you see the name of your Nvidia GPU it is activated. And also make sure you login xorg…

Then he needs to check

inxi -Ga

It returns this now

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Iris Plus Graphics G7 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel
    bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:8a52 class-ID: 0300
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP108M [GeForce MX230] vendor: Dell driver: nvidia
    v: 495.46 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1d11
    class-ID: 0302
  Device-3: Realtek Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo
    bus-ID: 1-6:2 chip-ID: 0bda:5520 class-ID: 0e02 serial: 200901010001
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.21.1.3 compositor: gnome-shell v: 41.2
    driver: loaded: modesetting,nvidia display-ID: :1 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 508x286mm (20.0x11.3")
    s-diag: 583mm (23")
  Monitor-1: eDP-1-1 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 142
    size: 344x193mm (13.5x7.6") diag: 394mm (15.5")
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce MX230/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 495.46
    direct render: Yes

:thinking:

1 Like