Some Manjaro user questions about EndeavourOS

Look at who’s here! :heart_eyes:

Screenshot_20210406_192544

I have a question: I want to install pamac. I know I should use yay, but which version should I choose?

9 Likes

pamac-aur if you just want repo and AUR support
pamac-all if you want flatpak and snap support as well.

3 Likes

I thought similarly when I started but I made a choice to go 30 days with pacman and yay and I will never go back now. I check Arch wiki and the packages and AUR, and then just use pacman or yay. I really like the command line way. I used Ubuntu since version 5.04 and thought I’d prefer a graphical package manager, nope, changed my mind :smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ve never used yay, should I remove the make dependencies after the installation (sorry for this weird english but I’m translating what’s here on the terminal :sweat_smile: )

1 Like

It doesn’t really matter. The make dependencies are the software used to build the package. If you remove them, you will have less packages on your system but they will need to be reinstalled next time the package is updated. I usually don’t remove them.

4 Likes

I have one question: Why is Pamac like this? (only showing 3 apps on featured and they are all Snap)
Screenshot_20210406_200843

I am a former Manjaro use myself and the main difference between EndeavourOS and Manjaro is, that EndeavourOS is much closer to Arch.

Manjaro is grouping new Arch packages into releases. And these releases can be very(!) big and sometimes happen only once a month or even less frequently. I liked that approach at the beginning, but dont like it any more.

EndeavourOS on the other hand has no release process. You will get Arch packages directly from the Arch repo. You can see updates coming in basically every day.

1 Like

Buen día.

Soy nuevo usuario de Linux y nuevo con el uso de EOS!

He conocido varias distribuciones derivadas de Debian y Ubuntu, OpenSuse. Pero con ninguna me he sentido tan cómodo cómo con ésta.
Me gusta mucho y con ella he aprendido mucho.

Me encanta lo actualizado que se mantiene el sistema, siempre en lo último.

Y ya instalé Yay y Pamac. Va excelente.

Un saludo cordial.

2 Likes

I haven’t used pamac in a long time so I am not sure what shows up in featured. Make sure to go through the settings and enable/disable the sources you do/don’t want included.

2 Likes

What about sway :tired_face::disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Welcome aboard @Xinux26

2 Likes

After using the EndOS installer you end up with a minimal Arch Linux system.

7 Likes

that’s why i like EndOS
a minimal Arch Linux system

4 Likes

Maybe he got Swayed! :grin:

2 Likes

sway look cool but i dont like how to setup

2 Likes

Minimal sounds so, disappointing.

You get a fully built Arch system, ready for you to expand on to fill your needs.

4 Likes

Did you pick pamac-aur-git?

2 Likes

I picked pamac-all

1 Like

Everytime I use pamac to install something it says it is required a reboot to apply the changes… Is that normal?

It CAN be normal - if the changes are system related (like systemd stuff or a new kernel for example). It isn’t rare, but it IS only sometimes (or should be).

1 Like