Some i3 notebook users?

Is this working?
And the more interesting question… is the default implementation not working for you?

Can’t say that I’ve tested it extensively, but I also did not notice it not working. Used it both on a MS Surface Book 1 (with the custom kernel) and a Dell XPS13.

1 Like

so the default EndeavourOS i3 implementation or the one suggested by andreapazzo :question:
:grey_question: :question:

:nerd_face:

The default EnOS i3 config. Can’t recall touching the config regarding the keyboard backlight part :smiley: .

2 Likes

Thanks for helping me with your info!

Never had any issues on the thinkpads, but I guess those are hardware controlled since i can change the brightness setting even during POST

1 Like

yes same as here only thinkpads… with hardware sided brightness controls…

1 Like

The problem here might be related to the fact that xorg-xbacklight only works with Intel. Other drivers (e.g. Radeon) did not add support for the RandR backlight property. I had discussed about this issue with @joekamprad about 2 months ago with my different account. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/backlight#xbacklight. I also recently did a fresh manjaro xfce install and faced some issues with it which were solved after making /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
    Driver      "intel"
    Option      "Backlight"  "intel_backlight"
EndSection

The script provided by the github OP is unnecessarily complex. We can switch to brtightnessctl as it works on both intel and amd:

1 Like

will need testers here as i can not test it on my hardware :wink:

For me the default didn’t work out of the box with Dell Precision. Now AFK, will elaborate later

LATER:

Apparently I have also switched to brightnessctl suggested by ishaanbhimwal, which works perfectly.