[SOLVED] Vivaldi after waking

For me, Vivaldi stable 3.4 is suffering severe graphical glitches after waking from laptop suspend. It requires closing and reopening. I have opened a bug report with them, after clearing my profile and finding it was still at issue.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

To be honest if youā€™re done using your browser and are going to close the lid of your laptop you should shut down your browser completely. I donā€™t even allow it to run in the background in the systray.

Vivaldi-snapshot works flawlessly.

Why? I tend to use my browser as long as I use my computer, wich is most of the time.

There is a setting (canā€™t find it now) that determines what happens when you close the lid. I think itā€™s in energy settings.

There is, at least in Plasma. Iā€™ve set mine to ā€œdo nothingā€ while plugged in, and ā€œsleep/hibernateā€ if itā€™s running on battery.

Vivaldi stable 3.4 works fine here after awakening from suspension.

inxi -CG

CPU:
Info: 8-Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 4800U with Radeon Graphics bits: 64
type: MT MCP L2 cache: 4096 KiB
Speed: 1397 MHz min/max: 1400/1800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1397 2: 1397
3: 1397 4: 1397 5: 1397 6: 1396 7: 1397 8: 1397 9: 1397 10: 1395 11: 1397
12: 1397 13: 1397 14: 1397 15: 1397 16: 1397
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Renoir driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Device-2: Chicony Integrated Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu,ati
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RENOIR (DRM 3.39.0 5.9.11-zen1-1-zen LLVM 11.0.0)
v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.3

Thanks. Found this report here too:

So it would seem the commonality being use of nVidia with Vivaldi and resume from suspend = problem.
Iā€™ll try some more variables soon.

1 Like

I can confirm; nVidia is the issue, or the way that Vivaldi interacts with the nVidia Linux driver. Under Intel on the same machine there is no problem; I have been using the nVidia GPU more lately because I have been running an external HDMI monitor, and that is only possible through the nVidia GPU on this laptop.

So I will confirm this finding to the bug tracker at Vivaldi, and see if there is a change in the settings that they can recommend.

2 Likes

Further to this;

and the discovery that VV Snapshot 3.5 in the AUR is fine; therefore it is a Chromium bug;
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1001851&q=hibernation%20linux&can=2
and the version of Chromium in the 3.5 VV is fixed for this issue.

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

There is a known issue on Chromium side so we decided not to do anything for this at this stage as it is not a bug on us.
Here is the link in case you would like to follow up.
[https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1001851&q=hibernation%20linux&can=2
]
You can check if disabling ā€˜Use Hardware Acceleration when Availableā€™ (via Setting > WebPages) setting can work this around or not.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your time writing us this report and for using Vivaldi!

Best,

Akira Hojo
Team Vivaldi

1 Like

And yes, turning Hardware Acceleration off works for me too.

3 Likes