[SOLVED] Should I Install a Linux LTS Kernel as a Backup?

Antergos came with the choice of two (actually more) kernels to be installed (your choice during installation): the latest one and the latest version of the most recent LTS kernel. Once the system was installed, on booting, you had the choice of mounting either.

EndeavourOS seems to offer a choice during the booting process too but it’s not really a choice as there is only one kernel installed.

Is it safe to install an LTS kernel on EndeavourOS? Would that LTS kernel be updated along with the regular kernel when necessary?

Are there any advantages to having an LTS kernel on my computer in addition to the regular (latest) kernel?

Are there any disadvantages to having an LTS kernel on my computer in addition to the regular (latest) kernel?

Thank you.

Lawence

1 Like

Yes

Would that LTS kernel be updated along with the regular kernel when necessary?

Yes

It can help you in case a new version of the vanilla kernel has some problem with your hardware, then you can just boot with LTS.

Not that i know of. Or maybe if you have a bleeding edge hardware, LTS may not detect some of your specs. In this case just boot the vanilla.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Lawrence

1 Like

Yes, especially if you have an AMD-based cpu. Kernel 5.2.8 caused artefact problems for me, so I installed the LTS and run on that.

Update: I saw a tip about my problem and solved it. I can now choose to run the rolling release Linux Kernel or the LTS. I use the rolling release but it’s nice to know I have a backup.