[Solved] Openbox multi display setup, different resolution and refresh rates

I’m on the community Openbox edition, and it is great!

My problem is to set up wallpaper properly, in a multiple display setup, with two different display resolutions and three different refresh rates. One of the displays is my TV, and it has different resolution and refresh rate from the other two. This seems to be a problem for Nitrogen. On the TV, it wont react much to different modes of wallpaper display in Nitrogen.

Anyone knows how to remedy this?

My screenlayout from Arandr is this.

xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --primary --mode 2560x1440 --rate 165.00 --pos 4480x0 --rotate normal --output DisplayPort-1 --mode 2560x1440 --rate 60.00 --pos 1920x0 --rotate normal --output DisplayPort-2 --off --output HDMI-A-0 --mode 3840x2160 --rate 24.00 --pos 0x286 --rotate normal

Oh,it is not a Nitrogen issue it seems, but a display issue. The TV image is presented too large for the display. I’ll look further into it this evening, it should be solveable.

1 Like

For the record, this xrandr entry in openbox solved it.

xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --primary --mode 2560x1440 --pos 6400x360 --rotate normal --output DisplayPort-1 --mode 2560x1440 --pos 3840x360 --rotate normal --output DisplayPort-2 --off --output HDMI-A-0 --mode 3840x2160 --rate 24 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal

A tip to other relative beginners who might find themselves in the same situation:

I had lost all my install notes from a couple years ago, before I left linux. A couple of hours reading and experimenting brought little results. I knew that KDE could handle the setup well. In the end I just booted a live image of a KDE distro from Ventoy, installed Arandr, and copied the output.

4 Likes