[SOLVED] Is there a Linux Program Which Will Allow Me to Copy Streams (Picture & Sound)?

There are many programs being streamed nowadays. I have no trouble watching some of them on a computer running EOS.

But I would like to copy some of them.

While it is easy to copy many YouTube programs using an add-on for Firefox, I would prefer a native Linux program to do this.

Is there a program which will allow copying of streams (for example, Amazon Prime streams)?

I am aware that “you are not supposed to copy these streams” - but I hope that there is a program which will do this.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Lawrence

You edit your text?
I think it will not work for amazon.

2 Likes

youtube-dl works well for some things, but Amazon and Netflix and things like that have protections on them. For that we are getting into :pirate_flag: territory and I don’t think we want to do that here.

4 Likes

Agreed. We can however point them here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Screen_capture.

@lhb1142 Generally bad form to ask these sort of questions. I hope you understand. :hugs:

4 Likes

Yes, Nettie has been very good at preventing people from downloading their streams. That’s why most :pirate_flag: record their screen and computer audio when Nettie and Ammie are on the screen.

We really should avoid this kind of talk here (I’m using nicknames for those companies for reason, lower search engine hits.). I’m involved in that scene and I don’t talk about on it on Linux forums because of how much I love the forums.

1 Like

yes i think it can be problematic to provide information on how to do such stuff in a public forum :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not interested at all in piracy. I just want to copy some video streams for watching at a later time and then deleting them.

Thanks to Elioquin for pointing me to the Arch Wiki which has programs that may do what I want.

Lawrence

P.S. I don’t have “Nettie” nor do I have cable TV, just over-the-air TV and a computer on which I can watch streams. Sometimes these streams are only available for a short time; that’s why I should like to copy them. I shouldn’t have mentioned Amazon Prime because, even though I have it for two-day shipping, I don’t watch anything on it. It was just the first streaming service which came to mind.

2 Likes

See now that one is going to be an issue. It’s one thing if this was in the pub and even then might be questionable but this is the general system section.

1 Like

I use ClipGrab which is in the official repos. If you use KDE, then use the ClipGrab-KDE version in AUR instead else it will not shutdown properly.

1 Like