[SOLVED] How to remove a dead menu entry?

The 1st time I did the search I copy/pasted xircon’s command.
After what you said I ran the command again, this time with “Librewolf”, and the output is exactly the same.

The -i means ignore case. fd is just faster and the syntax is way easier, but there are many ways to skin a cat :cat2:

1 Like

There are also desktop entries in $HOME/.gnome/apps, although most (if not all) are dupes of $HOME/.local/share/applications.

A search inside files might find something:

grep -sir "appimage\|librewolf" "$HOME"

Let this run, as it may take long.
You could add some filters for exclusion of irrelevant file types, but it will only save time.
(man grep)

2 Likes

ripgrep is faster and might be a better solution here

So, the find was case insensitive, therefore writing Librewolf or librewolf would not make a difference, right?

Ripgrep required regex, which I have no knowledge of.

Will try it.

Or you could install menulibre.

what does that do?

Reads all menu-entries and lets you edit them.

And what do you think re in grep stands for? Regular Expression. :slight_smile:

It’s the same thing, only Ripgrep is a bit faster and has more features. But the normal grep will do just fine, too.

Just do what @petsam suggested, and post the output here.

1 Like

That is not obvious to a non-regex expert, sorry :pray:

Anyhow, @petsam’s command took 1-2 mins. to run, but the output is long, so I have attached a file here.

It is in .odt format as .txt format is not accepted.
librewolf-appimage-icon-search.odt (708.0 KB)

I did look through it but did not find anything that suggests phantom icons.

I did, but there was nothing indicating the phantom icons.

Looks like you installed two LW versions from the AUR:

/home/peter/.bash_history:git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/librewolf.git
/home/peter/.bash_history:cd ~/peter/librewolf
/home/peter/.bash_history:cd ~/librewolf
/home/peter/.bash_history:yay -S aur/librewolf
/home/peter/.bash_history:yay -S librewolf
/home/peter/.bash_history:yay -S librewolf-bin
/home/peter/.bash_history:yay -Rs librewolf-bin
/home/peter/.bash_history:yay -S librewolf-bin

I had a botched installation of Librewolf from the AUR, then, following Kresimir’s recommendation I installed librewolf-bin. He also said that if the 2 versions are in conflict, librewolf-bin would remove the other one.

Now, the botched was probably installed to some extent and was therefore not removed. So, should I try yay -Rs librewolf, or will that mess up the librewolf-bin installation?

It will just return an error, since the package librewolf is not installed, so there is nothing to remove.

Run

pacman -Qs librewolf

to see which LibreWolf-related packages are installed. If everything is correct, the output should be just this (if you have some extensions from the AUR installed, they might be listed, too, that’s fine):

local/librewolf-bin 102.0.1-1
    Community-maintained fork of Firefox, focused on privacy, security and freedom.

Yes, that is exactly what I got as output.

Then you’re fine, no need to install or remove anything.

Regarding the menu entry, I really don’t know why you can’t remove it. I don’t use Cinnamon so I can’t be of help here, unfortunately.

Normally, application launchers populate their menus by looking at .desktop files in .local/share/applications/ and /usr/share/applications … So the normal thing to check would be for any superfluous .desktop file. But if you have ruled that out, I’m out of ideas.

1 Like

I ran Stacer, and that seems to have done the trick.