…So why doesn't Bluedevil install with KDE Plasma?

makes sense. I just ended up removing stuff I didn’t want which created a lot of other things I did want into orphans, so I uninstalled them and then reinstalled them, so they are no longer “orphans” so that in the future if I want to clean up orphans these are not included in that list.

2 Likes

Just for the sake of testing, I think I will use the script but not choose any DE. Instead I’ll add plasma-desktop to “Additional package to install” instead. Perhaps during the weekend.

1 Like

I can do it in a couple of minutes.

Edit: Already tried the install script on vm-ware and i don’t care for it. I installed kde as a desktop and it installs discover. I didn’t check much else because i was annoyed with the fact that for what ever reason it won’t size properly in the vm-ware Window. I don’t have this problem with EOS on v-box or VM-ware. I will run it again and see if bluetooth, bluedevil etc. is installed.

1 Like

Using the script?

The script.

Edit: Running right now.

1 Like

If you go minimal and just install plasma-desktop, you won’t get Bluedevil etc.

https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/plasma-desktop/

I’m running the desktop profile kde again to check…

Edit: Personally i think just because Blue devil isn’t automatically included so what. Install it if it’s needed for your hardware. Packages from Plasma have changed. There is a wiki on blue tooth because everyone has a different issue. The hardware is all over the map. Sometimes it’s Bluetooth headsets other times it’s sound. Nothing is ever cut & dried.

Edit: Won’t let me log in on Wayland which comes up as default or xorg

Screenshot_20220506_105628

2 Likes

Isn’t Bluedevil only for DE integration of bluetooth?
I mean you could still have functioning Bluetooth but not GUI stuff?

I used the script to install the desktop profile of kde to see if it installs this but it won’t even let me log in. I don’t have these issues with EOS. It just works and works properly!

Edit: Installing it again in case i missed something?
Edit2: Impossible to miss anything as it gives you a warning so that’s not it!

Or simply mark as explicitly installed?

I didn’t know that was a thing. How do I do that for future situations like that?

Is there some reason for Bluetooth to be a default? It’s not like even a majority of systems even have the hardware… (although the proportions are changing). Oh well - whatever - I can always search through the installed files and clear it out if found.

You just display the list of orphaned packages for now, then you mark all the packages you want to mark with the following command:

sudo pacman -D --asexplicit [package name]

3 Likes

So as you can see it doesn’t size properly in vm-ware. First thing that i don’t like. I installed it this time with grub instead of systemd boot.

Screenshot_20220506_111514

It installs discover yuk!

Screenshot_20220506_111602

Bluedevil is installed because they are using a meta package.
Screenshot_20220506_112425

I agree with @freebird54 that a lot of desktops don’t necesarily have bluetooth.

1 Like

thanks I will keep that in my CLI cheat sheet so I can use it in the future if I eve run in to something like this.

1 Like

You could choose the minimal profile and then add the packages you want in the “Additional package to install” . It won’t be installing plasma-meta then. No discover, no bluedevil, almost no nothing. The base install plus the packages you tell it to.

2 Likes

I will try that next time…
I like the eos way better because it’s more familiar. I have no issues and i know what it’s installing. I can look at the package list. I see no advantage to installing Arch using a script or the the long way. I like the simplicity of eos.

Archinstall script:

• minimal profile
  • plasma-desktop, konsole, neofetch, nano and a couple of packages more.

Screenshot from 2022-05-06 20-03-11

No devils of any color around here!

:imp:

4 Likes

still sacrilege BTW! :rofl: :innocent:

1 Like

I’m already burning in Arch Eternal :fire: :fire: :fire:!

So what the H*** !!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :sweat_smile:

1 Like