So recently i tried to use pipewire-pulse to replace pulse but then

Then I suppose we are done here.Your system requires the use of pulse-audio per your personal preferences. Glad you found a solution.

2 Likes

/usr/bin/pipewire-media-session
[E][000000043.165574][media-session.c:2059 start_session()] can’t start monitor: Host is down

As user:
$ systemctl --user status pipewire.service
If it isn’t active
$ systemctl --user enable pipewire.service
Then reboot.

Pudge

2 Likes

@LizziAS
Did you have any luck? Did you enable it as @Pudge suggested?

1 Like

No because I’m using openrc and it seems clear pipe wire is written specifically for one init system, that being systemd

But I do accept his answer as the solution because I know it to be correct in my own understanding as well

of course there may a config for pipewire written one day for it to run specifically with openrc as many things are done that way and if that happens it will be something like rc-update add pipewire.service rc-service start pipewire.service or some such like that. maybe one day.

1 Like

Perhaps EndeavourOS forum is the wrong place to ask this question… Perhaps asking on the Artix forum would be more productive.

If I were to use Artix, however, I’d do it with runnit. OperRC, I just don’t like it…

1 Like

Oh i see so discussion about openrc isnt tolerated unless it’s to tell people to go away. Thanks for informing me.

It’s highly likely that pipewire won’t work with init systems other than systemd at the moment as the software is still very new, and it’s being developed by a Red Hat engineering team. With time, I expect other init systems will be supported, but I’m not sure when this may happen. It may also be possible to write init scripts to launch/run pipewire using other init systems, but I lack the necessary skills to help you with this. I think one of the problems with seeking help on this issue on an Arch-based distro forum is that almost everyone on here will be using systemd, as this is the default init system on Arch. There may be some people on here who can help you, but a forum for a distro that uses the non-systemd init systems, like Artix, might net you a better chance of getting useful advice.

All I’ve managed to find on running pipewire on Artix is this:

I don’t know whether that’s any help or not.

1 Like

/usr/bin/pipewire
/usr/bin/pipewire-pulse
/use/bin/pipewire-media-session

That’s absolute nonsense. Clearly, I have not told you to go away, nor have I told you that discussing OpenRC isn’t tolerated.

I just gave you friendly advice aimed at achieving your purported goal.

It is a fact that asking a question about OpenRC on the EndeavourOS forum is just as stu   unproductive as asking a question about Windows Control Panel or whatever they are using these days…

EndeavourOS uses systemd, so it cannot use OpenRC. The distribution you’re using is obviously not EndeavourOS, so a question about it has a better chance of getting answered on that distro’s forum.

It’s not that you’re forbidden to ask such a question here, just that you are unlikely to have it answered.

However, since you’re asking for my opinion on the matter, here it is: framing the question in such a way that it tactically omits mentioning the relevant fact that you’re using a distro with OpenRC and not EndeavourOS is, in my opinion, disingenuous, and constitutes help vampirism. It does nothing but waste the time of people who tried to help you.

But of course, that’s just my opinion, it is certainly not my place to tell you what you may or may not ask in this forum.

10 Likes

ok. youre right. im wrong. i apologize.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.