So I'm doing a course

And to do that course I had to set up a virtual machine with any of Ubuntu, Centos, or Fedora. I chose Fedora. As I was trying it out, I found myself wondering how it would work on bare metal. To cut a long story short, I’ve been up all night installing Fedora on my main machine and getting it set up.

It wasn’t entirely smooth sailing though. When I installed, I found I couldn’t log in, I just came back to the log in prompt. After a couple of hours searching the web, I found the answer. I’d reused my EndeavourOS home directory and selinux was pitching a fit about it. One simple command later and I was logging in like a pro.

I prefer dnf to pacman, It’s slower but much more logical.

I still use EndeavourOS on my laptop, and at the current moment have no sense if I’ll stay on Fedora or come crawling back to EndeavourOS on my main machine. But hey, I was getting bored anyway :rofl:

Fedora (KDE-spin) was one of my most liked installations a few months ago. The updates that block my computer at next boot were the only reason to not update to the next version, but that is one of the luxury-problems. Maybe my old hardware and slow internet connection made the problem look worse.

Interesting.

I am kind of the opposite with regards to Fedora. I tried it, I really wanted to make it work but I found myself getting easily frustrated with everything from the installer to updates etc.

I am currently running EndeavourOS on an old HP Pavilion G6 and could not be happier.

My tuppence worth.

Glad you got it sorted out to your liking.

Switched my homelab server from Arch to Fedora recently. With not much prior Fedora experience 95% of the debugging time was spend realizing ohh, it’s SELinux (or the firewall).

Otherwise it’s fine so far.

@Pati Yeah, it will be interesting to see how it behaves when version 45 is released.

@rubi1200 I like Endeavour a lot too. That’s why it’s staying on my laptop. What can I say, curiosity combined with distro boredom is a dangerous thing!

@Schlaefer I have the feeling that selinux is going to be a hellish learning curve.

Good for you, because Fedora does not support hibernation for laptops out of the box. See my reply in a different thread:

–

I see it the opposite way. Especially the fact that yum has been replaced by dnf a long while ago and still config directories for dnf contain yum in their name, e.g. /etc/yum.repos.d/ bothers me.

Also, that dnf ist not good for everything. E.g. if you want to find the owning package for a file you need to go back to rpm: “rpm -qf <file>” . With pacman you simply do “pacman -Qo <file>”.

It boots so fast, I shut it down and have Plasma restore the last session on login. It’s about 30 seconds to a working desktop. Plus the time it takes me to enter my password.

It isn’t that bad, for me it was more about becoming aware of that new layer. I would reiterate that I spend most of the time realizing that SELinux was the issue in the first place - fixing it was mostly straight forward afterwards.

E.g. on Arch ls -la was sufficient to spot an oh, that service running as x can’t access files y, now you have to do ls -laZ and become familiar with restorecon and friends.

This is not the same as hibernation. After hibernation the session is exactly(!) as before. Including open documents, cursor position in the dokument, open ssh sessions (if there was no timeout from the server), etc.

After hibernation I have still access to unsaved documents. With your kde plasma scenario unsaved documents are lost during suspend when battery life ends.

I don’t suspend, I shut down completely and cold boot when I need to use it. Battery still drains in that use but very slowly.

Yes, this is what I understood from you last post.

My use case is different. I just close the lid and the laptop goes into suspend-then-hibernate. It suspends for 30 min and then hibernates. In that state it can sit for ages. When I open the lid again it resumes from hibernation and it restores the exact same session incl all the unsaved documents I was editing at the point of hibernation. I find this very convenient!

Yeah, I can see the benefit of that. I have to save any unsaved data that I want to keep before shutting down, but I tend to save what I want to keep fairly regularly anyway.

My code editors, vscodium and eclipse both remember that last project and files that were open, and position the cursor in the place it was before I shutdown, so I don’t lose much there.

Eventually you’ll get bored of Fedora and dnf! :rofl: I’ll be watching and waiting for you to come crawling back.

Getting bored is one of the great features of EndeavourOS, me thinks. I can do whatever I want to, but usually updating my daily driver is so boring smooth that I can concentrate on my daily work. That’s what makes it beautiful. :heart:

It’s possible but it won’t be for a while as I have to give Fedora a good go.

It is that! But boredom combined with curiosity is a dangerous thing that’s very hard to ignore.

The computers I have are mostly running different Linux OS, but my main rigs are using Fedora 44 KDE workstation.

Its been almost 2 years as my main OS but I’ll never loose my love for Arch either,