Slow internet on Linux, but not on Windows

My computer is running a dual boot system with Windows 10 on one drive and Endeavour OS on another. One problem I am facing is that my network speeds whilst in Endeavour OS are considerably slower than when in Windows. Notably, the amount of bars the networks I use are lower. The network I use has a 2G and 5G connection, but the 2G connection as 2 bars (as opposed to full on Windows) and the 5G connections do not work. In Windows I typically get 20-50 (on a good day) MBs, but on Endeavour OS speedtest++ shows the speeds as the following:

Ping: 19 ms.
Jitter: 74 ms.
Determine line type (2) …
Very-slow-line line type detected: profile selected slowband
Testing download speed (2) …
Download: 1.71 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed (2) …
Upload: 1.26 Mbit/s

Once I was able to get 5 Mbit download speed but that is not as common. I looked on this forum to see similar topics but they do not seem to apply as much to my issue.

Output of inxi -Na:

Device-1: Intel Ethernet I217-LM driver: e1000e v: kernel port: f020
bus-ID: 00:19.0 chip-ID: 8086:153a class-ID: 0200
Device-2: Intel I210 Gigabit Network driver: igb v: kernel pcie: gen: 1
speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: d000 bus-ID: 06:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:1533
class-ID: 0200
Device-3: NetGear A6210 driver: mt76x2u type: USB rev: 3.0 speed: 5 Gb/s
lanes: 1 mode: 3.2 gen-1x1 bus-ID: 4-1:2 chip-ID: 0846:9053 class-ID: 0000
serial: 100

I would use ethernet if I could but unfortunately it is not possible. As of writing this post the system is up to date according to yay. I also have fast startup on Windows disabled. If this is a hardware issue and/or a consequence of dual booting I am willing to live with this issue as the speeds are usable except when having to download large files.

I did a bit of research to see if there was anything about the network adapter I have and its compatiblity on Linux. I first found this repository, however it said it was deprecated as the mt76 kernel should support the adapter out of the box. After performing yay mt76, I am given the following packages:

5 aur/mt7610u_wifi_sta-git 1-1 (+0 0.00) (old version: 2023-09-21)
Kernel module for MediaTek MT7610U chipset featured in TP-Link Archer T2U and T2UH, TP-Link TL-WDN5200, ASUS USB-AC50, ASUS USB-AC51, Comcast Xfinity KXW02AAA, D-Link DWA-171 rev B1 and more
4 aur/mt7610u_wifi_sta-alt 3-3 (+1 0.00) (old version: 2018-10-15)
Kernel module for MediaTek MT7610U chipset featured in TP-Link Archer T2U and T2UH, TP-Link TL-WDN5200, ASUS USB-AC50, ASUS USB-AC51, Comcast Xfinity KXW02AAA, D-Link DWA-171 rev B1 and more
3 aur/mt7610u_wifi_sta 4606187-3 (+6 0.00) (old version: 2018-05-31)
2 aur/mt7601u-dkms-git latest-1 (+3 0.00) (old version: 2021-05-28)
mt7601u DKMS driver
1 aur/mt7630-pcie-wifi-dkms 1:2.1.1-1 (+11 0.00)
MT7630e PCIe Wifi (DKMS)

The network adapter is working albeit at lower speeds compared to Windows. Would you all suggest that I try installing one of the pacakges here (one of which can be found here)?

Just a point of clarity here. With wireless communications, 2G and 5G typically refer to mobile broadband standards, the “G” meaning generation, so 2nd generation and 5th generation respectively.

With WiFi, 2.4GHz and 5GHz refer to radio frequency, the GHz referring not to a generation, but to a literal frequency.

It’s a minor thing, but can often be misunderstood. For example, when I first started reading your post, I thought you were referring to a device that supported a mobile SIM, as you were referring to mobile broadband standards.

I would not. Those drivers are all so dated now.

Could you post your bootlog, to see if any related issues are reported:

journalctl -k -b -0 | eos-sendlog

I’d also suggest testing a different USB port, particularly if you have USB2 vs USB3 ports (try the other).

With WiFi, 2.4GHz and 5GHz refer to radio frequency, the GHz referring not to a generation, but to a literal frequency.

Apologies, that was what I meant to refer to. Here is the bootlog as you requested - https://privatebin.net/?52d619664b67a1b3#E1FKrQ93XEPZTUKhGedSeBeYCbFKpFdQLjDqDJLUjuMX

1 Like

Nothing stood out as noteworthy in your bootlog, except perhaps this line, but I doubt that would be directly related to this issue:

Jul 30 20:36:04 linux-pc kernel: acpi LNXCPU:10: Entry not well-defined, consider updating BIOS

So you might consider updating your BIOS, if an update is available.

You have it plugged into a USB3 port. Might you try another non-USB3 port, if you have one available?

I tried plugging it into a different USB port and a speedtest got these results:

Ping: 9 ms.
Jitter: 15 ms.
Determine line type (2) …
Buffering-lover line type detected: profile selected narrowband
Testing download speed (2) …
Download: 17.53 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed (2) …
Upload: 9.63 Mbit/s

These are closer to my usual speeds. I will see if the speeds remain as is after a while. Meanwhile I will attempt to perform a BIOS update as well.

1 Like

So you might consider updating your BIOS, if an update is available.

I performed a BIOS update as you suggested however unfortunately it seems that the update changed the key to enter the BIOS settings menu as well as the boot order, as it is only booting Windows instead of rEFInd. The important and lucky thing is that the Windows installation is working. I will see if I can find out how to fix it, hopefully without having to use the live iso.

That’s a new one. I don’t recall ever encountering a BIOS update that changed the BIOS entry key :confused:

But it does sound like it’s reset your BIOS settings to default. You’ll likely need to make sure these settings are addressed in particular:

• Disable legacy boot / CSM (compatibility support module) so it’s using UEFI/EFI.
  • Disable secure-boot.
  • Disable fast-boot.
  • Correct your boot order.

I was able to change some of these settings when it first updated since it forced me into the setting menu after the first update. I managed to turn CSM off and the boot mode to UEFI as well turning off fast boot (I think). I remember when I tried to change the bootloader only boot options from my SSD (where Windows is installed). I will see if entering the settings menu again will show the boot options from the hard drive.

I was able to find my way into the BIOS settings menu and did as you suggested:

• Set boot to UEFI and disabled CSM
  • Secure boot is not even an option and the system information in Windows states that it is off
  • Fast boot was disabled

However fixing the boot order would do nothing since all that appears are the Windows boot managers on both the SSD with Windows and hard drive with Linux. It seems like the BIOS update may have messed with the bootloaders in the Linux install. Would I have to reinstall the bootloader via a live environment and if so would you be able to guide me in this process?

I’m not sure why the bootloader might have gone awry. It’s not been my experience of BIOS updates.

To gather more advice on next steps there, I suggest creating a dedicated topic detailing this new issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.