Skype installation

I am trying to install skype via pamac. there is not skype in depo, but there are snap and aur version.
I tried to install snap skype, but this error prompted
Any idea what does that means ?

The snap Skype was published using classic confinement.
It thus may perform arbitrary system changes outside of the security sandbox that snaps are usually confined to, which may put your system at risk.
Install Skype anyway ?

When i install it anyway, this prompted :

cannot install "skype": classic confinement requires snaps under /snap or symlink from /snap to /var/lib/snapd/snap

Did you try the AUR version?

Tbh I avoid Snapd as it causes more issues than it solves and its security sucks unlike what it promises

1 Like

Oh… Thx.

I’ve had snap on more than one occasion prevent the system from booting because reasons. It also wastes a lot of space so I would recommend an AUR package long before a snap if its maintained and works

2 Likes

Tldr I hate snapd, wastes space and can be a real headache

Canonical says “snaps are easier” and I’m like

1 Like

Any idea why when i closed skype, i have to key in login detail each time ? there is not remembering in skype ? i am kind of used to software to remember my login name and password… i just need to click login to use skype. It is by default for skype that when i closed skype i have to retype login detail ? I remember skype for windows do remember it.

hello ,you can put skype on startup

That’s a good question I’m not sure tbh

I don’t use Skype and haven’t for years so hopefully someone knows better than I do

depending on your needs, there is also skype-web completely inside the browser.

Put in startup won’t solve the login data entering issue.

I don’t like web skype. i like a designated app of each …
Anyway, these are are just minor issue. I am satify with it since it is like this. I was just thinking maybe i missed out something… hence asked… since it is so… let it be…
No need to reply this thread anymore… thx
Thx guys.

1 Like