Simplenote does not open in Plasma

I installed simplenote on Plasma (yay -S simplenote-electron-bin from AUR), and when i click the program, it bounces around loading on the cursor but doesn’t actually open, and the loading symbol disappears. It even shows up in task manager while it’s loading but then disappears. One time when i clicked several times on the icon it opened and worked fine, but i haven’t been able to reproduce it opening. This was not an issue on XFCE, just Plasma.

I tried running in Konsole, the executable and i got this error, which i typed the suggested fix for in a terminal in that directory, which did not solve the issue

(simplenote:5378): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:12:38.008: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1649:16: '-gtk-icon-size' is not a valid property name

(simplenote:5378): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:12:38.008: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1652:16: '-gtk-icon-size' is not a valid property name
[5378:0412/141238.069634:FATAL:platform_shared_memory_region_posix.cc(255)] This is frequently caused by incorrect permissions on /dev/shm.  Try 'sudo chmod 1777 /dev/shm' to fix.
sudo chmod 1777 /dev/shm

I encountered the same issue. Have a read of the comments section in the AUR:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/simplenote-electron-bin
There does not appear to be a fix at the moment. There is an alternative way to access Simplenote using a command line application in a terminal. There is a package in the AUR called sncli. It has a link to a git page where you can read about it.
It works for me and I use plasma, although I don’t think the desktop has anything to do with the issue. Hope this is of some help. :slightly_smiling_face:

Works here, /opt/Simplenote/simplenote --no-sandbox %U

Is it supposed to look like this? I got it to work on Cinnamon but not on Plasma. Do i remove the second %U from arguments, or from the program line so there aren’t two %U’s maybe?

On plasma when i try to open the file from start menu it says:
Could not find the program ‘/opt/Simplenote/simplenote --no-sandbox %U’

Please see my new reply i posted at the same time as you, thanks!

Then:

cd /opt/Simplenote
ls

Returns?

edited - capital “S”

[admin@A515-54 ~]$ cd /opt/simplenote
bash: cd: /opt/simplenote: No such file or directory
[admin@A515-54 ~]$ ls
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  Music  pCloudDrive  Pictures  Public  Templates  Videos

See my edit, just woke up :smiley:

[admin@A515-54 ~]$ cd /opt/Simplenote
[admin@A515-54 Simplenote]$ ls
chrome_100_percent.pak  libffmpeg.so          LICENSES.chromium.html  snapshot_blob.bin
chrome_200_percent.pak  libGLESv2.so          locales                 swiftshader
chrome-sandbox          libvk_swiftshader.so  resources               v8_context_snapshot.bin
icudtl.dat              libvulkan.so.1        resources.pak           vk_swiftshader_icd.json
libEGL.so               LICENSE.electron.txt  simplenote
[admin@A515-54 Simplenote]$ 

I need to crash myself, its really late here! But I won’t quit til i make this thing work lol

Still says Could not find the program ‘/opt/Simplenote/simplenote --no-sandbox %U’

1 Like

Definitely remove the second %u. Got to get ready for work…

Removed U% from the “Arguments” line and still says Could not find the program ‘/opt/Simplenote/simplenote --no-sandbox %U’

Run that from a terminal (like I did from screenshot).
Really got to go!!

Ok I’m going to sleep myself.

From terminal it works!! But is there a way to make that command work from the desktop or taskbar icon? Even as a startup program? Strange it worked flawlessly on Cinnamon

from konsole it still says

(simplenote:4400): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:54:27.649: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1649:16: '-gtk-icon-size' is not a valid property name

(simplenote:4400): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:54:27.653: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1652:16: '-gtk-icon-size' is not a valid property name
[4400:0413/005428.928318:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private.cc(415)] GPU process isn't usable. Goodbye.

May be it helps to set the working path for the menu entry, too. In the console you call the program from that directory.

This is my /usr/share/applications/simplenote.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Simplenote
#Exec=/opt/Simplenote/simplenote %U
Exec=/opt/Simplenote/simplenote --no-sandbox %U
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=simplenote
StartupWMClass=Simplenote
Comment=Simplenote is an easy way to keep notes, lists, ideas and more. Your notes stay in sync with all your devices for free.
GenericName=Note Taking Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=Utility;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/simplenote;

Does it match yours?

1 Like

this is my full text from the desktop shortcut

Categories=Utility;
Comment[en_US]=Simplenote is an easy way to keep notes, lists, ideas and more. Your notes stay in sync with all your devices for free.
Comment=Simplenote is an easy way to keep notes, lists, ideas and more. Your notes stay in sync with all your devices for free.
Exec=''\\''/opt/Simplenote/simplenote --no-sandbox %U'\\'''
GenericName[en_US]=Note Taking Application
Icon=simplenote
MimeType=
Name[en_US]=Simplenote
Name=Simplenote
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

[Desktop Entry]
Categories=Utility;
Comment[en_US]=Simplenote is an easy way to keep notes, lists, ideas and more. Your notes stay in sync with all your devices for free.
Exec='/opt/Simplenote/simplenote --no-sandbox %U'
GenericName[en_US]=Note Taking Application
Icon=simplenote
MimeType=
Name[en_US]=Simplenote
Name=Simplenote
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

Yours doesn’t quite match.

2 Likes

Thanks, I did notice that worked before responding. I realized that even though the path may look clear under properties, in something like Okular you can see that there may be hidden text like in my case.

1 Like

Thanks to all on this thread who kept working on it. I’ve now got Simplenote launching again with a gui from the Application Menu. I’m keeping sncli as a terminal launcher just in case! :blush:

1 Like

Just wanted to add a ditto, had the same issue with BlueMail and adding the no sandbox line to Arguments made it open like a charm.

I found that editing the Okular text on the shortcut as above did fix everything, but if I right click and select Properties or Edit, under the Application tab, it reverted back to the default program location of /opt/Simplenote/simplenote but the Arguments line has the --no-sandbox %U and it seems to work that way just the same.