Show your latest purchase! (With pictures)

I bought a CD with Marta Gabriel’s single album. I really want the flac files. Got the CD on the purchase. Coming out on the 16th of this month.

BC-1

1 Like

Update #2. Chipgenius says the “2TB” drive is actually 64GB. That explains a lot.

Ugh, that sucks. At least it was a cheap waste of money.

Moar Power!

Moar_Power

11 Likes

sk-hynix-gold-p31

Installed on a laptop running Fedora 34 btrfs encrypted. Average benchmark using gnome disk utility 3.4 GB/s and I have gotten readings of 3.5 GB/s. Previously had a Samsung 970 Evo Plus on it and that was averaging 3.3 GB/s and maxing out at 3.4 GB/s. On average a gain of 100 MB/s. User experience is very similar. The principal gain though has been in power savings. It runs much cooler averaging 37 C, and while writing 100 GB of data it maxed out at 65 C. About 10 C cooler. During regular use I am seeing about a 1 w difference in power draw. This equates to about 1.5 hours of adidtional battery life for my Thinkpad T480s combined with the IGZO display I installed a month ago I am seeing a power draw on battery with 35% display brghtness at 3.5-4.5 w. Very happy with the purchase.

4 Likes

Nice hardware. I have MSI myself. If you have any issue with the 2.5 Gb ethernet there is r8125-dkms in the AUR.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up about the driver!

A bike :grin:

I’ve been bike-less for the last 10 years or so, and let’s just say that I haven’t been as fit as I used to be… especially the last 1,5 year or so, where i spent most of my time going from bed to desk and vice versa.

Made a promise to myself to spend less time behind a computer, and more time outdoors.
I live in an area with lots of creeks and greenery, it would be stupid not to enjoy it :slight_smile:
(might as well be a good opportunity to finally learn how to use that DSLR…)

2021-07-09 16.27.31

IMG_0272 copy

17 Likes

sony.wh.1000.xm3

I finally got some good wireless headphones. Initially I was very disappointed since it would only connect with the HSP protocol. After following all the tricks on the Arch wiki trying to troubleshoot why the A2DP protocol was not available, I gave up for a few day;s trying to get it too work.

Few day’s later, I finally got lucky with my Google-fu and found a thread on the Arch forums. Seems there is a bug with the current stable release of Bluez and I had to upgrade toe Bluez-git and now the headphones work the proper audio sink and audio quality is amazing!

More importantly, I can wear these headphones longer compared to my old ones (Sennheiser) which where uncomfortable after 30 minutes.

6 Likes

Vintage glass and new glass :slight_smile:

Also said goodbye to the crappy kit lens that came with the camera

IMG_0734
IMG_0735
IMG_0741

10 Likes

Oh, yes! The line of Canon cameras for the FD bayonet is really worthy of eternal memory. These cameras, like the Olympus OM film cameras (especially the OM4Ti), are my favorites. They are even tactilely very pleasant :+1:

1 Like

Well honestly I don’t know that much about photography yet, but the FD was given to me by a family member.
Told me I should practice with it so I wouldn’t rely on the DSLR’s semi-auto modes that much…

But as you say, the tactile feels is certainly something else, at least compared to the new-ish lenses i have here

1 Like

Previously, for many years I used Nikon lenses with manual focusing in my work. And I can say for sure that they have their own special optical “pattern”. The Canon FD line of optics is also distinguished by a certain beauty of the optical “pattern” - previously, a slightly different approach to the calculation of optical systems prevailed.

Moreover, I often used very old lenses of domestic production, for example - Jupiter9 2.0/85mm. With simple lenses, without multi-layer coating… But it gave an absolutely charming picture, if you choose the right subject for shooting…

2 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t going to make any more big purchases, but my faithful 40+yo Kenwood KR-4070 receiver finally started the long path to its final death. Sad, really, as it’s provided literally thousands upon thousands of hours of entertainment and has easily justified the $350 price in 1978.

After several weeks of searching, I finally decided on a Sony STRDH190 receiver.

IMG_20210716_164740

It’s reasonably inexpensive ($168 on Amazon) and many of the audiophile sites rated it well for sound clarity and accuracy; especially for the price. And they’re right – it sounds quite nice and crisp and they push my 35+ yo Sony APM-615 speakers comfortably.

BUT – for some reason, it doesn’t have the same “punch” as the Kenwood in spite of it having 100w/ch compared to the Kenwood’s 40w/ch. Of course, I also don’t listen to Judas Priest at 100+db anymore, either.

As for the Kenwood, it’s going into the garage until I have time to see exactly what it’s going to take to resurrect it. The various controls are mostly standard pots and I’ve seen capacitor kits for them on eBay. It has seen me through some tough times (music cures all, right?) and it deserves some payback.

13 Likes

It’s hard now a days to find anyone to fix these things. I remember taking an amp to a place but i had to search for a long time to find someone that with the knowledge and skills that could fix it. I provided them with the full schematics. This was a number of years ago too.

I’ve been looking for a place that still re-cones speakers. No luck so far. Everything seem to be disposable these days.

Blasphemy!!!

:smiley:

That’s a nice looking receiver. I use a nice Yamaha HTR-3063 with a pair of KEF Bookshelf speakers.

I looked at several Yamaha receivers, but they were much more expensive. If I’d had the money, I probably would have bought the Yamaha R-N303BL, even though I would never have used all the integrated streaming and ethernet stuff it has.

I like that one, sometimes the integrated addons are a more of a pain in the arse than a bonus.

That they are. In fact, the only reason that I even tried out the bluetooth function on the Sony was idle curiosity. It worked surprisingly well, displaying the name of my laptop on the display as I listened to a couple of hours worth of Jean Sibelius while reading.

Probably won’t use it again, though.

1 Like