Share Your Desktop

I understand the appeal of minimal, but I find that loading it with conkys causes less pain when I’m actually running things - work always clutters things up badly regardless! So - I figure I might as well have as much information handy as possible :grin: XFCE provides a drop-down terminal, luckily, so that’s always handy regardless of workspace…

If you don’t have a specific use, then it’s useless.
I’ve two main conkies… one sits in the top right and shows me networking activity - useful to see downloads (I have some RSS setup) and runs for a few minutes before exiting… similarly another one has CPU/RAM, Top cpu and memory users, and the time/date of my last snapshot and backup - very useful information unless you just assume Timeshift/back-in-time are always working.

Generally a very good shortcut - but only temporarily displayed because now I use the KWIN effect ‘OSD Clock’ to put a clock in the corner which shows up at 50% opacity at all times (including max/fulsscreen windows).

conky clock

They are launched/killed with a simple mouse gesture which I find a very straightforward and unintrusive way to do things.

Summary

#!/bin/bash
if pgrep -x “conky”
then killall conky
else
conky -d -c ~/Admin/conky/network.conky
conky -d -c ~/Admin/conky/conky.conky
fi

So no resources or screen eyecandy are wasted with permanent residence.

screen

3 Likes

Sounds like a good plan - and I did something like it until my screen size went from 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 + 1200x1600 - the change in real estate available changes the need to ‘save’ it!

Woah! I didn’t know you could go that far when it comes to theming plasma to look like MacOS. I have mine kinda setup like MacOS but not all the way.

1 Like

Look nice :+1: if u have a need then they great . I have no need for them but understand your use :+1: your system your desktop .

2 Likes

Late August / Early September sunset vibes:

Screenshot_2020-08-21_14-04-39

20 Likes

Screenshot_20200821_194541

9 Likes

Beautiful wallpaper!
Can you share the link to download it :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks, I like this wallpaper. I’m just having trouble deciding between three very similar icon themes. Which do you think looks the best with it?

Screenshot_20200821_130819 Screenshot_20200821_130934 Screenshot_20200821_131219

3 Likes

Wow! So many nice setups. I have a kind request for all.If you could give the details of Gtk/qt themes and Icon themes used , that will be useful for us to try. Thanks .

Ask people to post screenfetch of their system, this usually contains all the information you’re asking for.

Dangit, I can’t find it right now. I’ll look again later. I found another image of the same boats from another angle:

2 Likes

Ah. Here it is:

4 Likes

Alphacoders :partying_face: :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

1 Like

I say all three work

I can’t edit the original post anymore for my setup, but both icon theme and GTK theme are created using oomox for the setup.
Colors are based on ones from the .Xresources file in my github.

1 Like

i3 screenshot. clean look i like 2020-08-22-13:44:03-screenshot

11 Likes

Remind me :wink:

vio-sgs

6 Likes

fit you :crazy_face: 55555

1 Like

think that good avatar for you … better than old crow :kissing_heart:

1 Like