Several issues at the same time: sudo, wayland-related whatever, missing modules ? dunno

Hi.
I tried to get rid of xorg. So I removed xorg, which removed a ton of unrelated things, like falkon and chromium while I thought they could run in wayland.
Wel, think again Mehdi.
So I put xorg back.
Then no browser whatsoever works, they all go:
mehdi@mehdi-80qr ~> qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin “wayland” in “”
mehdi@mehdi-80qr ~> qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “”
and other platforms don’t work either. Btw, how could I get “linuxfb” to work ? I’m interested by having the most lightweight desktop possible…
Then I restart, and it works again. Okay…

So it showed that actually none of my browsers run on wayland, which sucks. How do I change that ? I wanna get rid of Xwindow.

1. sudo:
    after the first xorg removal, now it says: sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by the uid 0 et have the setuid bit set.
    Before, when pacman used to tell me for a while something like "rights of /user/bin/ different for user (777) and for packages (755), so I set all /usr/bin/ to 755… think again !!

Each time I update the kernel or add a module, it says:
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: xhci_pci
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx

… Can we know at least what these are supposed to do, eventhough I read it wouldn’t impact the system ?

Thanks for your help.
Plenty of little things, that I don’t know and shouldn’t have to either… I think it’s down to the lack of “tasksel” system. Usually I’m more than fine with the package manager but sometimes there are downsides it seems, packages get a little incoherent ? Dunno.

su to root and reinstall sudo

You did that recursively? It only wanted you to change the directory itself. Not all the files in it.

That is normal.

It is firmware for obscure hardware you probably don’t have on your system.

1 Like

Obscure ?
Oh, so intuitive… Ok :sweat_smile:
Thanks sudo works again…
“su” fails at authentification. Of course, same password.
Pacman says: “filesystem: 777, package 755”
Fortunately it doesn’t crash.

Also:

Plenty of things you don’t know and shouldn’t have to?

Well, who should then?? Why don’t you need to know? Is it not your computer??

It’s very clearly documented in the wiki. It’s not obscure at all. Most of us see it every time we update. . . .

2 Likes

They were responding to my comment where I stated those warnings were related to obscure hardware.

Yes :sweat_smile:
I also meant that the details of rights and filesystems should always be transparent. But in that case, I am to blame since I induced the bug in the first place by changing these rights earlier as I wanted to copy stuff freely in /usr/bin/. /bin/ should be protected, but i don’t see the point with things with “usr” in the pathI never was a fan of all those protections, which 99% of the time don’t serve any purpose for my use.
I do get that I tend to write a tiny bit aggressively when I’m not happy though… But I’m not remotely as irritated as it might seem, otherwise you would read a ton of hardly veiled insults like in the rant thread :rofl:

Firefox? I’m using it on EOS-Sway.

1 Like

Chromium works fine as well on wayland.

1 Like

If I had screwed up my install as badly as this, I would just reinstall, 15 minutes verses hours of pithering about trying to fix it.

3 Likes

And at risk of being offensive (because I don’t think everyone should wear their ‘offense’ chip on their shoulder), considering learning more before you undertake some disastrous actions at the shell level. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.
On the positive side, this is HOW you learn (blow stuff up with the power of ‘root’ behind you).

1 Like

“mehdi@mehdi-80qr ~> firefox
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin “wayland” in “””
I had that issue for quite a while.
RIght, I’ll reinstall. Is there a way to do it while inside the system ?

just put your distro on a usb and start over from scratch. If you want to try wayland, I think fedora has wayland by default. download a fedora ISO and install that and you’ll have wayland running out of the box

Fedora has wayland by default but that doesn’t mean they remove all components of Xorg.

Using Wayland by default and trying to remove all X-related binaries from the system are very different things.

3 Likes

If you want pure wayland, you will only get a terminal, a text editor and a few other programs, mainly utilities. All major programs run on Xwayland, a server within a server that runs xorg.

https://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html

2 Likes

Actually I think Firefox (and probably other browsers) can run native Wayland without the Xwayland service, though whether some components of the X server are required or not, I’m unsure.

EOS already is!

1 Like

I thought so ^^ ok thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.