Seamless login in EndeavorOS

I would like to achieve a smooth login process where there is no visible black screen during the transition from the login screen to my desktop, similar to the experience in Windows 10.

Both Debian XFCE and Kali do this by default. The same image that is used on the background is the same throughout the whole process and there is no black screen or any sort of transition. Just login and the icons just start showing up.

I’ve checked the files inside these folders /etc/xfce4, /etc/X11, /etc/lightdm… but I couldn’t find anything that was related to it.

I intend to use EndeavorOS XFCE with LightDM which has a very noticeable black screen after logging-in.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Many thanks in advance!

Don’t know if xfce has similar possibilities, but kde has a loading-screen that fills the gap between the display manager and the desktop environment. And the boot process can be covered with plymouth. If you don’t use luks and have acitvated auto-login there should be hardly a blackscreen then.

1 Like

I use gnome, sometimes the login is ‘seamless’, then after a few firmware or gnome updates there is a black screen for a second, then they fix it and it’s seamless again… for a few weeks… Maybe it’s a bug with xfce too, that is what happens with bleeding edge software, it’s not always seamless. But definitely check the configs in those other distros.

Ideally, I wanted to use XFCE, as there are some distros that have accomplished this successfully.

I’m still trying to understand how. Specially since Debian XFCE uses LightDM by default and I haven’t noticed anything different between the files on EndeavourOS and Debian.

Maybe some keen-eyed person is able to pinpoint the solution! :crossed_fingers:

You can use LightDM to load your same wallpaper that you use on your desktop. I had a setup some years back with LightDM and Xfce using the same splash screen so it seems seamless.

1 Like

Freshly installed Debian:

Freshly installed EndeavourOS

As you can see, there’s no visible transition on Debian. But for EndeavourOS there’s a very noticeable black-screen before the background loads.

Could it be related to what greeter that LightDM uses?
I think that the EndeavourOS black screen is from X11 being restarted.

Debian based distro’s are quite far removed from Arch based Distros in many ways, DE’s and Distros are completely separate things. Debian itself uses the Gnome desktop by default, and you want XFCE if I read you right.

To change distros, DE’s, or even both with all of their differences just to get a seamless boot up sounds compulsive obsessive and serves no real function: You would literally change the entire look, feel, workflow and what not the OS and DE provide after login, which is way more important, just to not see a black screen for a second or two! Is that really your main priority and so important you are willing to make that trade?

As for “the behavior of freshly installed EOS”: EOS doesn’t control the details of your login, the DE you choose on install has more to do with that, EOS with Gnome will be different from EOS with KDE Plasma, XFCE… because they all use whatever components their developers choose, and even then you have choices and different ways to change any of the components depending on the DE and what all it gives you control over via the UI (some give you none) vs having to manually change any of them…, and as you can see by the answers here there are many components at play, and so even if you figure it out and get it to work as you wish, just wait for a kernel or other related update or something, for it to revert back to a not so seamless login, as it’s not a high priority for the developers, nor do most users care that much about it if at all.

could be the Desktop loading is more complex on EndeavourOS Debian looks really dfeault…
And i see debian uses gtk greeter you can try switching to this to see if it will be better.

yay -S lightdm-gtk-greeter
and set /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to use that one instead of lightdm-slick-greeter.

But i would say it is simple more stuff loading when login to EndeavourOS XFCE4.

I don’t use Lightdm anymore, but I never had this black screen when starting Xfce with Lightdm.
I’d try to start Xfce from the TTY, if there’s no black screen, the problem is in Lightdm

no custom setup only NetworkManager running using gtk-greeter … what is using users wallpaper by default so it looks seamless indeed …

2 Likes

I just come to say, whoever designed the default xfce settings (theme) understand UX/UI design. Slick icons, cohesive colors… just need to get rid of that xfce logo on top left.

1 Like