Screen tearing on EndeavourOS KDE

Experimented with Peek and SSR on my Thinkpad 480Ts and I noticed a lot of screen tearing in the finished video. The only time it didn’t happen was when I exported to WEBM. I saw a similar post from July 2019 talking about the issue. I went to the Arch wiki, created the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file and copied the following, but it didn’t help.

Section “Device”
Identifier “Intel Graphics”
Driver “intel”

Option “TearFree” “true”
EndSection

Any idea where to go from here? I attached a small file capped with SSR to demo what I’m experiencing.

I am not a KDE professional but almost always when I make changes in the system settings concerning window decoration and the like there are glitches. But they are gone after log out/ log in or reboot.

install xf86-video-intel

It is already installed.

Going the check That out and see what’s going on there.

@sumguythatwrites
This seems more like flickering or blinking than Screen Tearing. Are you using the modesetting driver or the Intel driver?

Maybe try setting screen tearing none and use Open GL 3.1

Or try

System Setting > Hardware > Display and Monitor > Compositor and change the tearing prevention to “Full screen repaints”

1 Like

I am going to give that a try. I notice this only happened in KDE. I reinstalled EndeavourOS, going with GNOME this time, and while I had the same issue on Wayland, I didn’t have it on Xorg. So, my next question is, does the KDE install run on Wayland? If so, is there a way to force it to use Xorg?

Using the Intel driver btw.

you should try first switching KDE’ compositor to xrandr or gl3/2, or even disabling it if it does something different.

1 Like

KDE should be running on xorg unless you log in using Wayland.

Going to check it out now and go from there. Mind you, this only happens when playing back recorded video. The desktop experience itself is top notch.

I confirmed that using echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

1 Like

@ricklinux and @negative, both your suggestions worked to a degree. I did discover that removing xf86-video-intel and the corresponding /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file yielded the desired result. Thanks to everyone for the help. I can mark this thread as closed.

good that you found something that worked. i was to suggest these when my previous one ddnt work.
i do find that in most cases, you dont need 20-intel.conf, but you do need xf86-video-intel to prevent screen flickering. but im using compton/picom so KDE must be doing something different on your system for some reasons.

The important thing was finding a solution that helped. You were a part of that and I thank you.