Scaling issues on my Dell xps 13 9380

Inspired by @linny :wink:

linny-01-sgs

3 Likes

Can I switch from my install already or will I have to do a clean install?

LOL! I actually had a guinea pig when I was a kid that looked pretty close to that one actually. Thanks for making it for me, yaā€™ll are so nice! :blush:

1 Like

Well you can install another desktop but iā€™m not that big of a fan of it.

https://endeavouros.com/docs/pacman/how-to-install-desktop-environments-offline-install-users/

2 Likes

@linny
If you do end up installing another desktop environment all you have to do when you boot up into it is at the login screen change it to the desktop that you want to log into. It will be at the top right corner and just click on it and you will see the other desktop to select.

1 Like

That is fixable. Set it to 200% and then increase the font size. I know that seems odd but the UI elements scale with the font so it will actually make everything bigger.

2 Likes

Cinnamon scaling is nearly identical to budgie scaling except it will also do some font adjusting for you. xfce scaling is not the best.

1 Like

Hi @linny,

from what you show UP on screenshot, you miss factor 2x just try this :

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides "{'Gdk/WindowScalingFactor', <2>}"
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2
1 Like

@FLVAL I wasnā€™t sure whether you could use the Gnome commands or not knowing that Budgie is based off of Gnome. I know that the Dell XPS 9380 has some quirks and i think is because of Intel setup.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions and help! I ran out of replies yesterdayā€¦ I tried all of the DEā€™s and decided on Deepin. Itā€™s working out of the box now. :smile: The only issues I have hadā€“which is really strange, is whenever I install redshift it makes my wifi go in and out. So to get around that I installed Blugon and itā€™s working great now! Also spotify wonā€™t scale correctly, so Iā€™m trying to figure out what to do about that.

I know Deepin is probably not the most secure, but maybe with Endeavor/Arch as the back-end it wonā€™t be as bad? (rhetorical question mostlyā€¦) Besides, itā€™s sooo pretty! SO thanks again to everyone who was willing to help this newbie! I think I am going to really like the Endeavor community, you are all so kind and helpful. Not like other forums for linux I have come across.

3 Likes

Hello @linny
I just came across this on an older Spotify forum and it may or may not work.

This might be the solution to your issue on Spotify with the HiDpi.

You could edit /usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop or where ever the .desktop file is located and change the line with Exec= to one of these factors: (1.5 2.0 2.5 3.0)

Exec=spotify --force-device-scale-factor=1.5 %U

Edit: You may have to log out and back in if you change the spotify config.

This may also work for the problem with other desktops but you would have to experiment.

Add --force-device-scale-factor=1.5 (or whatever fits your UI scale) as a command line option.

1 Like

Hi @linny,

about trust of DEEPIN I used it for years before EndeavourOS, and if all Universities in the world distribute DEEPIN, You could be safe on itā€¦

I remember you that the devs who work on DEEPIN live principaly at Whuan and You couldnā€™t catch Corona virus because of thisā€¦ :microbe:

Here some info for you to read about DEEPIN :

Also the new DEEPIN V20 coming from the new portage of UOS for HUAWEI laptop will come soon, the corona virus slowed the launch date !

DEEPIN V20 is the same than UOS but without support for HUAWEI, like older DEEPIN version.

You could see here what DEEPIN V20 would be :
https://deepinenespaƱol.org/en/deepin-20-uos-rc-download-filtered/

In hoping, they will update the DE DEEPIN V20 cause the Barmenu system seems to be incredible !

1 Like

This was supposed to launch Jan 2020? Havenā€™t seen it yet.

In fact, devs of DEEPIN worked on the UOS since the 19 July 2019 thatā€™s why there is no update since this date on DEEPIN ! Then they explained that they will continue in DEEPIN V20 which is the same than new UOS but without support and will be open source like DEEPIN before, the both system are not for the same useā€¦

Yes there are some ISO that circulated from UOS for few weeks but I would wait the official ISOā€¦Deepin officially spoke about V20 in march but with the Corona virus it could be laterā€¦

But we donā€™t know still, if a DEEPIN DE V20 would appear !!

@linny
Not sure if any of those suggestions work for the scaling but it was worth a try.

Itā€™s my understanding that DEEPEN is only being developed for Debian, theyā€™re not spending time making sure it has fixes for other distroā€™s . Thatā€™s one of the reasons Mangaro stopped supporting DEEPIN.

@dalto any imput on that ?

I donā€™t have any inside information but my understanding was a little bit different.

I thought that Deepin was being developed for themselves and that a separate group had done the work to get it stable on Debian. Much in the same way that the Arch maintainers try to make it work for Arch. The real difference is that once you get it working on Debian it should mostly continue to work until a new version released. On Arch, it is more of an ongoing battle to keep everything working because of the rapidly rolling nature.