Running into errors with pacman -Syyu

Greetings lovely community,

I feel like I may have done something wrong on my end from earlier today messing around with reflector (see link: How to setup reflector-auto? - #22 by Scotty_Trees), but anyways, normally I run sudo pacman -Syu to check for updates. I know you can also run -Syyu or -Syuu to like rebuild your package database I think? Maybe I just have them all confused a bit at the moment, but for the -Syyu command here’s my output. Let me know if there’s anything I need to refresh, or reload or fix. Any help is always very much appreciated!

[scott@endeavourOS ~]$ sudo pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                  136.1 KiB   252 KiB/s 00:01 [-----------------------] 100%
 extra                1568.4 KiB   703 KiB/s 00:02 [-----------------------] 100%
 community               5.6 MiB  1201 KiB/s 00:05 [-----------------------] 100%
 multilib              151.5 KiB   237 KiB/s 00:01 [-----------------------] 100%
 endeavouros            18.6 KiB  13.4 KiB/s 00:01 [-----------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: e2fsprogs: local (1.46.3-2) is newer than core (1.46.3-1)
warning: gtkd: local (3.9.0-13) is newer than community (3.9.0-12)
warning: hwinfo: local (21.76-1) is newer than community (21.75-1)
warning: libinput: local (1.18.1-1) is newer than extra (1.18.0-1)
warning: liblphobos: local (2:1.27.0-1) is newer than community (2:1.26.0-4)
warning: nodejs: local (16.6.1-1) is newer than community (16.6.0-1)
warning: python-google-auth: local (1.30.0-1) is newer than community (1.29.0-1)
warning: re2: local (1:20210801-1) is newer than extra (1:20210601-1)
warning: tilix: local (1.9.4-4) is newer than community (1.9.4-3)
 there is nothing to do

What happens when you run sudo pacman -Syu Same output?

1 Like
[scott@endeavourOS ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for scott: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 endeavouros is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: e2fsprogs: local (1.46.3-2) is newer than core (1.46.3-1)
warning: gtkd: local (3.9.0-13) is newer than community (3.9.0-12)
warning: hwinfo: local (21.76-1) is newer than community (21.75-1)
warning: libinput: local (1.18.1-1) is newer than extra (1.18.0-1)
warning: liblphobos: local (2:1.27.0-1) is newer than community (2:1.26.0-4)
warning: nodejs: local (16.6.1-1) is newer than community (16.6.0-1)
warning: python-google-auth: local (1.30.0-1) is newer than community (1.29.0-1)
warning: re2: local (1:20210801-1) is newer than extra (1:20210601-1)
warning: tilix: local (1.9.4-4) is newer than community (1.9.4-3)
 there is nothing to do

Yikes, yeah same output.

If you use welcome and update mirrors first and then see what it shows.

1 Like

From here,
Screenshot from 2021-08-03 21-07-01

To Here,
Screenshot from 2021-08-03 21-06-10

Saved it, and retried pacman -Syu,
Screenshot from 2021-08-03 21-07-19

The first error message was from the previous command, but when I run pacman -Syu again after redoing the update mirror-list from the Welcome app, it looks like that fixed it and it displays no errors again.

Does pacman mirror-lists give out errors like this from time to time or was it more than likely the result of my possibly tinkering around? Thanks again for your help btw, always nice when a simple problem requires an equally simple solution! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sync Options (apply to -S)

-c, --clean

Remove packages that are no longer installed from the cache as well as currently unused sync databases to free up disk space. When pacman downloads packages, it saves them in a cache directory. In addition, databases are saved for every sync DB you download from and are not deleted even if they are removed from the configuration file pacman.conf(5). Use one –clean switch to only remove packages that are no longer installed; use two to remove all files from the cache. In both cases, you will have a yes or no option to remove packages and/or unused downloaded databases.

If you use a network shared cache, see the CleanMethod option in pacman.conf(5).

-g, --groups

Display all the members for each package group specified. If no group names are provided, all groups will be listed; pass the flag twice to view all groups and their members.

-i, --info

Display information on a given sync database package. Passing two –info or -i flags will also display those packages in all repositories that depend on this package.

-l, --list

List all packages in the specified repositories. Multiple repositories can be specified on the command line.

-q, --quiet

Show less information for certain sync operations. This is useful when pacman’s output is processed in a script. Search will only show package names and not repository, version, group, and description information; list will only show package names and omit databases and versions; group will only show package names and omit group names.

-s, --search

This will search each package in the sync databases for names or descriptions that match regexp. When you include multiple search terms, only packages with descriptions matching ALL of those terms will be returned.

-u, --sysupgrade

Upgrades all packages that are out-of-date. Each currently-installed package will be examined and upgraded if a newer package exists. A report of all packages to upgrade will be presented, and the operation will not proceed without user confirmation. Dependencies are automatically resolved at this level and will be installed/upgraded if necessary.

Pass this option twice to enable package downgrades; in this case, pacman will select sync packages whose versions do not match with the local versions. This can be useful when the user switches from a testing repository to a stable one.

Additional targets can also be specified manually, so that -Su foo will do a system upgrade and install/upgrade the “foo” package in the same operation.

-y, --refresh

Download a fresh copy of the master package database from the server(s) defined in pacman.conf(5). This should typically be used each time you use –sysupgrade or -u. Passing two –refresh or -y flags will force a refresh of all package databases, even if they appear to be up-to-date.

Also - Please only pass the -Syyu if you’ve updated mirrors. Forcing a refresh every time you update will cost the mirror maintainers more money. -Syyuu will force refresh and enable downgrade.

Onto what I’m seeing - it looks like your main mirror isn’t up to date/out of sync - for instance libinput should be 1.18.1-1 according to arch packages - https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/libinput/

1 Like

It probably had mirrors that didn’t have those packages yet because they were out of sync? Not sure?

1 Like

Yeah, no clue, but I should be good to go now right?

Basically what happened is you somehow were using a mirror that was less up-to-date than the files on your system so you were getting warnings.

Then you resorted your mirrors, became connected to a more updated mirror and the warnings went away.

4 Likes

You should be fine from here on out. FWIW, I’ve gone MONTHS without updating just to see what would happen. Being a .1 release behind isn’t really going to cause an issue anyway. But, if you find that you tend to be an iteration behind Arch stable - you can always remove that mirror from your mirrorlist.

1 Like

It’s good to know I should be okay now, phew! My plan was to update once a week, but with so many updates coming out daily or every other day, the rolling bug within me can’t help, but want to update my system like every 2-3 days currently :stuck_out_tongue:

@dalto Yeah I made my best effort not to save or execute some of the reflector commands I was testing with, but in all honestly it was probably 100% user error on this one. Luckily with y’all by my sides it was a super quick fix, thank you very much as always :slight_smile:

Welcome to Arch. I know folks who update hourly. You can update basically as often as you like. I updated 3 hours ago - and I’ve already got an update available. I’m usually a once a week type though.

You don’t however have to update mirrors that often. But, alas, it’s your system. You can do as you want.

1 Like

Yeah I’m still new to EndeavourOS (going onto week #2** now), but once my mind calms down from always wanting to be updated to the latest and greatest, I’d like to settle into a once a week update routine. Who knows how long that might take for me to get to that point though heh heh. Thanks again for the help and the explanations btw, appreciate it!

It takes a bit. Once you’ve been in the Arch-land a couple years - you’ll start to relax more. Well, at least about Arch. I’m still a stressed out alcoholic. Some things don’t actually change.

Not always true! I used to be an alcoholic (technically always will be), but I’ve been sober now a couple years, so anything is possible. But to stay more on the topic of course, I do hope to be using Arch for a while as so far things are going along just great and I couldn’t ask for a better setup and a more awesome community as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Better you than me. Congrats to you sir. I’ll take your tequila in that case.

You’ll get there. I specifically made a year on the same install a goal of mine, and accomplishing it was fantastic. It’s so liberating, and you’ll really learn a lot. Installation is easy, maintenance is what separates the men from the boys imo though. Good luck.

1 Like

Hate to tell ya, but I was more of an IPA man! Though if it ever was liquor, it would’ve been some Gin!

Didn’t really know specifically what goals to set for myself, other than try not to break anything bad enough that I need to do a fresh install within the first couple of months. But honestly after being here in this community since June, I think as long as I ask any questions for things I’m unsure of, then I can’t go wrong with y’all helping. Definitely a great supportive community for sure, and I hope to repay that with the same support too :slight_smile:

You may need to find another distro, I’m not sure you fit in here anymore. . . . hahahaha

You’ll be fine. Read the Arch news. Check the forums, and don’t do anything stupid - almost all breakages are due to ourselves, not Arch.

1 Like

This cracked me up enough that I woke up my chihuahua who was sleeping behind me :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the encouragement. So far I’ve just checked this forum before updating, but I do have the Arch news bookmarked as well, so I’ll get into the habit of checking that each week too. I’ll do my best to avoid doing anything stupid, but if I know I’m about to, I’ll make sure I post about it here first before I do. Minimal breakages would be nice! But also sometimes you gotta get your hands a little dirty to help out the community too, like sometimes I’ll update and “sacrifice” my system for the greater good of testing or something like that haha

Your example shows how important it is to have good mirrors.
First of all, they should be up-to-date.
Then, they should be fast.
And, they should be stable…

1 Like